Wednesday, 16 October 2013

Flooding in Bangkok (north-east, Lak Si near Don Mueang)

No rain yesterday, but this morning (about 1:30 am, I was in a taxi to go home) it started to rain and only now (13:30) the rain stopped. On my way to work (in Lak Si area near Don Mueang), I was up to my calf in water and my local street is flooded up to the curbstone (sidewalk is dry, but when a car drives past water flows over). From work, I can see a local road where the sidewalk is under water as well, for a stretch of about 50 meters. As the level of water is the canal next to it is pretty high, I doubt it will drain soon and I expect getting wet feet on my way back as well.

As I wrote before, the second most important reason for locating to Thailand is that I can wear flip flops all over the year. With floods, they are very convenient: water flows in and flows out. At work I just rinse, let dry and change into closed shoes.

Flooding in Bangkok Lak Si Oktober 2013

Flooding in Bangkok Lak Si Oktober 2013

The following pictures are unrelated to flooding, there is a canal which is used for waste collection, now it is on very high level:

waste collection on Bangkok Klong Canal

waste collection on Bangkok Klong Canal


 


Depending on wind, the styrofoam box can move against the current, and there is a teddy bear floating on the klong as well:


My daily way to work, today under water up to 20 cm high:

Flooding in Bangkok Lak Si Oktober 2013

Flooding in Bangkok Lak Si Oktober 2013

Flooding in Bangkok Lak Si Oktober 2013

Flooding in Bangkok Lak Si Oktober 2013

A look out of the window at work:


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are currently unmoderated and open to everyone. I will see how this works out and might switch to moderation. Please sign your comment with a name or identifier.