Monday, 21 April 2014

More reasons why I like Thailand

More reasons why I like Thailand

There is no daylight saving time in Thailand (I am a vehement opponent of daylight saving time).

VAT is only 7% (in Germany 19%, other European countries similar).

You don't need a TV license in Thailand. (In Germany, you had to pay for a TV or radio, then it was extended to computers, but you could get an exemption if you had no such device. But recently, law changed and every household has to pay, regardless if you have a device or not. Only exemption is for people who are deaf and blind. No joke!) The current media fee is 17.98 Euro (about 800 Baht, that's just for being able to use media, not for media itself), which is close to my total cost for media (631 internet at home, about 200 internet mobile, about 100 mobile phone).

I went to a hairdresser in Germany, with washing I paid 14.95 Euro (about 670 Baht). In Thailand, you can get laid for less!

In France, I had to pay 4 Euro to use the washing machine my landlord provided (that included washing powder because she was fussy about which washing powder to use). For 180 Baht, I could get the same amount of clothes washed, ironed and folded. In Thailand, I use public washing machine for 20 Baht per washing.

In Thailand, you can walk in flip-flops all year. And I do so, unless I have to go to an office. In Germany, I have to put on socks and wear closed shoes and do laces because it's cold. In addition, I use clamps or rubber bands to keep the legs of my trousers closed, so I don't get cold legs. (These clamps/rubbers are for cyclists, so your trousers don't get into the chain.)

ChristianPFC's footwear, Thailand versus Germany:



(And don't forget how much time it takes and how much effort it makes to put everything on and take everything off, often twice per day!)


But the unique selling point (USP) of Thailand are her boys: handsome and easy or cheap to get into bed.

But Thailand has its downsides. There is no "Streusselschnecke/taler" (pastry similar to Pain aux raisins or Chelsea bun) and no "Berliner" (pastry similar to donut).



But what use if it, if you can't get it? To my great surprise I just learned that supermarkets are closed on Sunday and Monday (Easter Holiday). Two days! In Thailand there is 7/11, open 24/7.

3 comments:

  1. You are right about joys of Thailand, I love daylight saving time though, there's no need for it in Thailand since there's not much difference in length of day,

    Would not be surprised it thorough search of lower Sukhumit would reveal existence of German bakery with all pastries you missed, I'm pretty sure I saw one there.
    Happy Easter ChristianPFC

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most Thais would probably happily pay the German/French prices, if they got the same salaries paid there as well. This "comparison by cherry-picking" doesn't make a lot of sense. All kinds of pastries are indeed readily available in Bangkok, but yes, they are a lot pricier than Thai food court meals (or street food). And I won't even comment on wearing flip-flops or other beach attire in Bangkok. :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is a German bakery / butcher / newspapers in Sukhumvit Soi 22, "Bei Otto". Last time I checked, prices for imported goods were far above what I would pay in Germany.

    Daylight saving time is an abomination. It hasn't caused any casualties yet, but accidents (source: wikipedia). And if you have a house (not me, but my parents), it takes days to set all clocks.

    One would have to calculate the relation between price and average daily income for various goods and services. Maybe the difference between Thailand and Europe is not as big as it seems to me. Psychology plays a role as well: most things in Thailand feel cheap.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are currently unmoderated and open to everyone. I will see how this works out and might switch to moderation. Please sign your comment with a name or identifier.