Saturday, 12 April 2014

Wildlife in Khao Kitchakut National Park

Wildlife in Khao Kitchakut National Park

When I arrived at the Buddha footprint (03.03.2014), I was suprised to find large number of big moths on the boulder.


Later, during walk to Pa Daeng, there was a constant chirping high in the trees, finally one source of sound was lower and I could see that the sound is caused by insects (about 5 cm long, cicada, จักจั่ง).



Near the helicopter landing patch an even larger number of big moths.


I spotted three different kinds of moth and two kinds of egg on this pole alone:



Did this plant become detached from the ground or did it grow in the stone without roots?


Update mid March: 
There are low numbers of cicadas in my area in the tree, if you approach, they stop singing. How do they detect humans from meters away?

Update 25.03.2014:
A smaller version, with lower volume, can be found on Pratamnak hill in Pattaya in large numbers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are currently unmoderated and open to everyone. I will see how this works out and might switch to moderation. Please sign your comment with a name or identifier.