Thursday, 24 April 2014

Xiengkhouang to Luang Prabang 06.02.2014



Xiengkhouang to Luang Prabang 06.02.2014

(In this and the following articles, some details about prices and times will be filled in later and are currently marked "xxx
". My notes about this trip are in Thailand, I am writing these articles now in Germany.)

There is only one bus from Xiengkhouang/Phonsavan to Luang Prabang, at 8:30 in the morning (95 kKip at the bus station, I paid 115 kKip including pick up, the bus station is some km away from my guesthouse) so I have to get up early. (kKip = 1000 Kip = kilo Kip, like kilometer and kilogram. At the time of writing 1 Euro = 11.1 kKip, 1 Baht = 250 Kip.)

Transport options in Xiengkhouang:


Timetable and prices at the bus station:




At that ungodly hour, it’s cold and misty:




The road is twisting/winding. Several passengers get sick, one diagonally opposite to me pukes into a plastic bag (transparent; I think his last meal was noodle soup), and other white passengers tell me that others simply puked out of the windows.

After a few hours of reading (book or on my phone), I get unwell, too and estimate that it will take just one or two hours until I join the others. But fortunately, when I stop reading it gets better. (My mother is more sensitive, she gets sick when she reads sitting in a German car driving on a German road.)

We have two unexpected service stops and one stop for lunch.






Alcohol with bear and deer feet:



For a few hours it’s interesting to look at the scenery, but then it becomes boring. And if you have a sensitive stomach, you might get the above mentioned problems.

Arrive in Luang Prabang (Southern bus station) at xxx. The bus station is close enough to town center for walking. So I walk to the place where I stayed last time (Feb 2010). On the way, I ask at some other guesthouses: all booked out. But I am lucky, the place from last time has free rooms.

2 comments:

  1. great travel report as always from you but I disagree that scenery on Phonsavan-Luang Parbang is boring, I found it fantastic all along , may be because I'm not prone to motion sickness

    ReplyDelete
  2. see a site like hobomaps.com for info/pix of bus-station sheets- on travel by bus or otehr ways.
    IF you have enough time, you may even send them updates.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are currently unmoderated and open to everyone. I will see how this works out and might switch to moderation. Please sign your comment with a name or identifier.