Sunday, 28 September 2014

Chatuchak and Pradipat gay bars update

Chatuchak and Pradipat gay bars update 

Abstract: Bars in Chatuchak / Otoko area seem to be all gone; Pradipat / Saphan Khwai area business as usual.

Saturday, 20.09.2014

Chatuchak / Otoko (Marketing Organization for Farmers) จตุจักร / อ.ต.ก. (องค์การตลาดเพื่อการเกษตร)

Take MRT to Chatuchak Park. At night, the shortcut through the park to the market is closed. I have to walk around it: southwards on Pahonyothin, then northwards on Kamphaengphet 3 (ถนนกำแพงเพชร, abbreviated as KPP). Limited illumination, watch your step! Gate 2 (main entrance of weekend market) is closed, no light or people inside (23:35; if Viva was busy, I would surely see it from main road). 

To go to Fake I would turn west on KPP 4, but there are people coming from north, there must be something, so I continue northwards. Chatuchak Green market following post. Walk on KPP 4 (between animal market and Children's Discovery Museum) to KPP 2 and south, past JJ Mall and Chatuchak market (all dark, no people), to KPP.

Everything closed (Cha-Bar Pub and Restaurant, Mixzer) and some buildings demolished. Can't find Fake, but think it was where now is a gap in the row of buildings (which is near the place where I remember it and where it is shown on googlemaps). It looks like the entire area (triangle between expressway, KPP and KPP 2) will become construction site. But south of KKP (Otoko market) everything as usual: some bars open and music when I walk past.

That means all gay bars are gone: Fake (drove past in a taxi in January, there was activity), Obama (have never been, but from descriptions must have been in the area), El Ninyo (have never been, has been closed for years, but still listed in some websites), Viva (have never been, but as this is in the weekend market area there is still hope).

Further reading: 
http://bk.asia-city.com/nightlife/bangkok-bar-club/fake-club 
(Fake listed as closed, I recognize the interior)
http://www.gaythailand.com/forums/topic/9442-bkk-gar-bars-in-chatuchakotoko-area-closed/
https://foursquare.com/v/fake-club/4b46fed5f964a520462a26e3?#tipsPage=2&tipsSort=popular (Fake listed as closed)
http://talkbangkok.com/Chatuchak/p6/Bangkok-Nightlife-Guide-Bars-Clubs-Travel-Information (outdated, lists El Ninyo)
http://www.bangkokpost.com/lifestyle/gay-and-lesbian-bars/search-district/chatuchak/ (outdated, lists El Ninyo)
http://bangkokbois-gay-thailand-blog.com/2013/09/13/going-gay-at-chatuchak/ (location of Viva)

I have been to Fake once, September 2012, and shared my experience as a sidenote here:
http://www.gaybuttonthai.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5968&start=20#p57362 

One more “Walking ATM” incident that I had no place to report. In September last year, I went to Fake Pub (near Chatuchak Market). It was packed, there were few other Farang and few cute boys. One of the cute boys was smiling at me and invited me to his table. He was dancing in front of me and grabbing my crotch. I was thinking feverishly if I would go with him, because seeing him from close he was not that attractive any more.

Finally he asked me if I would contribute some money for their drinks. Now that got my brain spinning at highest speed. Money for drinks for a boy with whom I would not go to my room after disco? Maybe 100 or 200 Baht, for the sake of Thai-German friendship. While I was still thinking, he bursted out: “1000 Baht?”. “Sorry, cannot.” Thereupon the impression on his face changed: “Just go!” and he handed my my bottle of beer that I had put on their table. Made my day and I am still chuckling when I think back about this sudden change.

I had not consumed anything from their table and and they didn’t order anything while I was there. It was a clear case of “maybe we can get that Farang to pay for our party”. Not with me! You have to look for someone else, you little bitch!


Still makes me chuckle when I think of his reaction when I refused to contribute to his bill! One of my favorite memories of Thailand!

Pradipat / Saphan Khwai ประดิพัทธ์ / สะพานควาย


Take taxi to Pradipat Soi 20 (Saphan Khwai area), 40 Baht. Lights in ZapZap (same soi as 39 underground sauna, seen from taxi when driving past). Dinner, then look for "The Nine Spa" (http://www.9massagespa.com/ read about it recently), in the forecourt of Liberty Garden Hotel, do not confuse with Nine Spa in Sukhumvit. "The Nine Spa" closes at midnight (I am there around 1 am), no light, but one boy sitting in front of it and many shoes (there is no sign, without the boy I wouldn't have recognized it), ask the boy, he opens the door and there are two more inside, ready to serve me, but I have other plans.

Walk to Soi 20. It has the following venues, clockwise: Stax K (Karaoke), Heaven K, Behigh gogo bar, Thai massage (closed), Embassy hotel at the end of the soi, Adam K, Waterloo K, U-Turn K, Street K. All busy, staff and customers inside (as far as I can see) and sitting outside and inviting me. 

But I head for Behigh. Stay 01:05-50. Orange juice 150 Baht. 3 boys in underwear, waiter tells me there are a total of 5 available boys (2 fully clothed), and he can go with me as well. One other party (some people on a table, difficult to distinguish who is customer and who staff, and many bottles and glasses). Seems they do a slow but constant business (without the low and high season like in tourist areas). Music, aircon, light ok. Shortly before I leave, the boys dress (for closing at 2 am). I ask in one karaoke: close at 2 am. 

In Behigh, a waiter sat sext to me and entertained me during my stay. Pleasant company and there was some mutual attraction, but some facial hair and heavily tattooed. He asked me if I smoke (no) and then asked if I mind if he smokes (yes) and refrained from smoking. Big brownie points for asking! English ok (I think my Thai is better than his English, but I'm not interested in having conversation in Thai, so I keep it in English). We exchange phone numbers and Line (and wrote a few messages on Line, but I'm not sure if we will get together again, I should have asked earlier if he wants money from me, because that's totally out of question).

There are more gay places along Pradipat, which I didn't have time to go to (and was tired). 

Update 24.09.2014 about 5 6o 6 pm:

The soi with 39 underground sauna and Pahon cinema has several massage places with male staff. In Pradipat several restaurants with cute male staff. Charmming bar (double m, Pradipat Soi 17) still operates, gay bar, open from 9 pm (I asked at foodstall opposite, if I hadn't been before I wouldn't have found it in daylight). Adonis sauna (Pradipat 169/44, near Elizabeth Hotel) closed (sign removed, under renovation, will open as something different).

Copyright 2014 ChristianPFC

14 comments:

  1. Thanks Christian... interesting as always!

    I always remember shamelessmack's comment that if you didn't speak Thai, there was not much reason to visit the Pradipat/Saphan Kwai places. Since you found an English speaking waiter, do you agree or disagree?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would say don't let lack of Thai deter you from going to these places. Usually the boys are in a group, and one of them will speak English. If there is attraction (or money) between you and a boy who does not speak English, there will be a way.

      Delete
  2. Adonis in soi elizabeth hotel had been cloded for at least 5 yrs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's been a long time since I last went to Or Tor Kor; back then this area was already visibly in decline, so I wasn't in any hurry to go back... Thanks for confirming it's now all dead, that saves me a trip because curiosity would have driven me there again sooner or later.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You made me curious to revisit SK area, last time there back in 2001

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great updates and all very correct. Saphan Khawi was my first non farang (gay) hangout. Many other areas in BKK also have similar gems. Even suburbs like Namwongwan and Mung Thong Thani. Not advertised as gay places but have their own own little gay hideouts where the local gay community have fun. Been in BKK since 1999. Just cant live anywhere else (though i tried it off and on for two years and it just left me more dead than alive). If you want i can give you my regular updates, since I have a nose (and fondness) for discovering such places. But don't want to seen to be advertising for establishments. BTW Im not Thai (though I do look it and even speak it). I'm just a bloody WOG (no offence to my compatriot Indians) ... And yes I loved your blog description. I even checked up the imbecile site. Nice humour. Had a great chuckle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For exchange of experience please contact me at christianpfc@live.co.uk

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. as youy can see from further-the whole area overthere is ownd by the SRT and a giant new BKK central train station, also for those HS-trains will in the end get there. Mochit Bus also has to move out pretty soon.
    However,-see this just ow, surprised that Fake&Co have moved out without any replacement/relocation.

    ReplyDelete
  8. the link for 9massage is not working (anymore), this is same owner as the more upmarket the9 in Sukhumvit (soi 31 or 39?).
    The many shoes outside this shop only mean that a lot of the workers therealso use it as their sleepingspace. This is not uncommon in many such m2m shops.

    ReplyDelete
  9. also Waterloo is since late '13 no more K(araOK), but a m2m mssageshop

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fake Club moved, found it by chance:
    https://www.facebook.com/Fakeclubofficial/timeline
    no map or address, but got a map upon request (message on facebook), now near MRT Huay Kwang, between Ratchada Soi 14 and 16.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Christian, great info! Were the boys in the Pradipat bars visibly gay, or bi, or straight?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know. I didn't go into karaoke; and in Be High (the only gogo bar) there were only few boys.

      Delete

Comments are currently unmoderated and open to everyone. I will see how this works out and might switch to moderation. Please sign your comment with a name or identifier.