Thursday, 2 October 2014

Culinary surprises

Culinary surprises

The trip to Ubon brought some culinary surprises. I have a set of about 20 Thai dishes I regularly eat. There are many more, I can read their names in Thai, but I don't know what it is or it doesn't look appetizing or it is spicy, so I don't eat it. But this trip has pushed me out of my culinary comfort zone.

At the Lamduan Rapids, there was one foodstall whose most appealing dish was Gai Yang (ไก่ย่าง barbequed chicken) and sticky rice. I got one wood (not a skewer, works rather like pincers) with chicken, tastes good but it has bones and tendons.

When I came back to my room, someone put food there in a bag. I didn't look appetizing, but there was no other choice (and it was free or included).

It was Grapro Bla (กระเพาะปลา fish maw, but according to a friend who identified it from my picture it usually doesn't contain fish any more). Suitable for human consumption.


Another one was saku sai mu (สาคูใส้หมู sago palm with pork intestines, tapioca dumplings stuffed with pork intestines, but now usually a vegetarian dish). Suitable for human consumption.


The last culinary surprise, and finally a positive one, was on my trip back from Korat to Bangkok. I bought a ticket for 2nd class air train 22 for 425 Baht. There was service like in an airplane! Drink and food served! The chicken curry was a bit spicy, but the rest was fine.


Copyright 2014 ChristianPFC

1 comment:

  1. And none of the chicken wore under ware

    ReplyDelete

Comments are currently unmoderated and open to everyone. I will see how this works out and might switch to moderation. Please sign your comment with a name or identifier.