Wednesday, 1 October 2014

Emerald Triangle and Huay Luang Waterfall

Emerald Triangle and Huay Luang Waterfall in Phu Chong Na Yoi National Park
สามเหลี่ยมมรกต น้ำตกห้วยหลวง อุทยานแห่งชาติภูจองนายอย

Monday, 15.09.2014
Ask ranger about transport options to Emerald Triangle (border Thailand-Lao-Cambodia) which is about 10 km by air or 20 km by road away. One of the rangers W offers to take me there and to National Park by car. 

Ride to Emerald Triangle 13:53-14:33. Unfortunately, there is a road block (barbed wire) 2 km before the border. I could easily walk around, but W ays there might be Thai and Cambodian soldiers. Some people in the army camp and some locals fishing in the reservoir.





There is a map, and on googlemaps and GPS I can see as well that I'm just 2 km away from the border. On return to main road, we stop at some interesting looking rocks.




Continue to National Park, arrive 15:33. W gets me in for free. Some interesting rocks:



Waterfall Huay Luang (also called Bat Teo):


Viewpoint:


Descend to the waterfall:


During the descent, there are a few spots that are permanently dripping water from rock and plants. You can walk behind/underneath the waterfall:


The white coloration is only on the surface, I think it's from lichen rather than of mineral nature:


On the ground, there is a sandy beach:



We continue to another smaller waterfall about 100 m downstream.


It was already thundering, and on our way back we got thoroughly drenched in the rain. All I can do is wring my shirt. Time spent at the waterfall 15:45-16:30 (including stairs, without rain we would have stayed longer).

Drive to Na Chaluay market for food shopping. Upon return (18:20), I want to give W 500 Baht for driving (car from work), but she refuses, and after some arm wrestling in the car I take the note back.

Copyright 2014 ChristianPFC

1 comment:

  1. Nam Tok Huay Luang seems to be one of the most beautiful waterfalls in Thailand... I am happy it also came along with some nice local cuties, like often in your pictures.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are currently unmoderated and open to everyone. I will see how this works out and might switch to moderation. Please sign your comment with a name or identifier.