Friday, 12 June 2015

Abhisek Dusit Throne Hall

Abhisek Dusit Throne Hall พระที่นั่งอภิเศกดุสิต

My loyal reader vinapu gave me a ticket from his visit to Royal Palace, which is valid for Vimanmek Mansion วิมานเมฆ, Ananta Samakhom Throne Hall พระที่นั่งอนันตสมาคม and other payable tourist attractions in Dusit ดุสิต. 

I have been to Vimanmek Mansion about 4 years ago and used this chance to go again. Everything as I remember: long trousers compulsory, locker costs 20 Baht, no photography (mobiles phones and cameras have to be left in the locker). Take English language tour 14:00-14:30. 

Lockers in other buildings are free. I had my stuff already locked away elsewhere, but when staff learnt that I would go to Vimanmek Mansion first and come back later, I had to take everything with me and pay 20 Baht at Vimanmek Mansion. However at Abhisek Dusit Throne Hall locker and entrance are far enough apart to allow storing your luggage there for free and going to Vimanmek Mansion. There is even free drinking water at Abhisek Dusit Throne Hall.

But the main reason for this trip was Abhisek Dusit Throne Hall which I somehow missed on previous trips. Not really "off the beaten track", halfway between Ananta Samakhom Throne Hall and Vimanmek Mansion, but very few tourists find their way, I was alone most of the time (14:40-15:10).




Architecture is Moorish, with a bit of Art Nouveau and Louis Henri Sullivan strewn in.  

No photography allowed inside, but http://www.vimanmek.com/index.php/aboutus/view/22
has one picture: 


The hall houses a museum (SUPPORT museum Foundation for the Promotion of Supplementary Occupations and Related Techniques) which displays arts and crafts. 

More pictures can be found here: http://www.enlightermagazine.com/projects/throne-hall-tsle-ag

There are several other museums and exhibitions in other buildings on the grounds. 

Verdict: and undervalued architectural jewel. 

Copyright 2015 ChristianPFC except for last picture

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad I can be useful for something.

    Readers- be aware, while ticket for Grand Palace is valid for the day of purchase you will receive tickets for other attractions mentioned by Christian above to be used within 7 days

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cute trick taxis do is go the long way round, especially to the highway, or taking the longer Southern highway to Swampy. But they are still cheap compared to farangland.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are currently unmoderated and open to everyone. I will see how this works out and might switch to moderation. Please sign your comment with a name or identifier.