Tuesday, 3 January 2017

Dating Thai boys (47) Silence is golden


Dating Thai boys (47) Silence is golden

There is a saying “speech is silver, silence is golden” which I fully subscribe to. Some of my Thai friends talk too much, especially when it comes to confessing their love to me, and I’m often forced to answer a “I love you” with “I like you too” (hope they don’t notice the difference), and “I miss you” with “I miss you too” (omitting that this applies to many others as well) because everything else would be awkward.

Meine Art, Liebe zu zeigen (Dalia Lavi  1972)

Full lyrics here: http://www.songtexte.com/songtext/daliah-lavi/meine-art-liebe-zu-zeigen-2bcce882.html, below selected lines with my liberal translation:

Meine Art Liebe zu zeigen                 My way to show my love
das ist ganz einfach Schweigen.         Is to be quiet.
Worte zerstören                                Words destroy
wo sie nicht hingehören.                   Where they don’t belong.

Schwöre keinen lauten Schwur          Don’t promise the moon,
stell mir keine Fragen                      Don’t ask me things
träum die Sternenpartitur                 Look at the stars
ohne was zu sagen.                           Without saying a word.

Is there an English or Thai song or saying with the same message?

I Just Called to Say I Love You (Stevie Wonder 1984)

Now this truly is anathema to me, I almost puked when I read the lyrics.

A boy I met recently called me 3 times in one day, and had he continued I would have had to do something about it. What I consider reasonable would be one exchange of messages per day and one call per week. With my parents I’m down to one or two emails per month.

Copyright 2016 ChristianPFC

7 comments:

  1. When you truly will fall in love you will be waiting for that calls and messages impatiently and 1 hour of silence will be eternity I think

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed I have been enamored with several boys where I waited for reply and if no reply checked if messages were read, looked at their facebook every few hours, and so on. Unfortunately, the feeling was not mutual.

      Delete
  2. if you really want to date thai boys, do you not think that the words "I love you" will eventually come up?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, after a reasonable time (weeks or months), but not after meeting once, or in some cases just chatting without even meeting. "I love you" is used inflationary and has lost all meaning. Anyway, it's better to show love by actions and not by words.

      Delete
  3. Terrible translation as it is word by word and does not convey the meaning in English.
    Better?
    I show my love
    By my silence
    As words are not
    Adequate to show my feelings

    I will not promise
    So don’t ask about my love
    I will just look at the stars
    And not say a word

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello darkness, my old friend
    I've come to talk with you again
    Because a vision softly creeping
    Left its seeds while I was sleeping
    And the vision that was planted in my brain
    Still remains
    Within the sound of silence

    In restless dreams I walked alone
    Narrow streets of cobblestone
    'Neath the halo of a street lamp
    I turned my collar to the cold and damp
    When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
    That split the night
    And touched the sound of silence

    And in the naked light I saw
    Ten thousand people, maybe more
    People talking without speaking
    People hearing without listening
    People writing songs that voices never share
    And no one dared
    Disturb the sound of silence

    "Fools", said I, "You do not know
    Silence like a cancer grows
    Hear my words that I might teach you
    Take my arms that I might reach you"
    But my words, like silent raindrops fell
    And echoed
    In the wells of silence

    And the people bowed and prayed
    To the neon god they made
    And the sign flashed out its warning
    The Sound of Silence, Simon and Garfunkel

    In the words that it was forming
    And the sign said, "The words of the prophets are written on the subway walls
    And tenement halls"
    And whispered in the sounds of silence

    ReplyDelete
  5. Above by Simon and Garfunkel: The Sound of Silence

    ReplyDelete

Comments are currently unmoderated and open to everyone. I will see how this works out and might switch to moderation. Please sign your comment with a name or identifier.