Friday, 3 February 2017

Ferry between Pattaya and Hua Hin

Ferry between Pattaya and Hua Hin

A lot has been written about the ferry in the news and on the forums:
http://sawatdeenetwork.com/v4/showthread.php?18282-Pattaya-Hua-Hin-ferry-to-begin-on-New-Year-s-Day
http://www.huahinforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=29428
and now it’s finally running, I got onto the first commercial trip on 1feb2017 (in January it was free for trial).

For news and schedule (changes with tides) see their facebook page https://www.facebook.com/RoyalPassengerLiner/
(my questions were answered within reasonable delay).



My trip in logical order. Buy ticket at ticket office in parking building at Bali Hai pier (2nd floor, north-west corner). Promotion 999 Baht for economy throughout February. (No ticket booth in ground floor - where tickets for Koh Larn are sold - or on the pier.)





Go to pier, the ferry is here:
12.929050, 100.867752 = 12°55'44.6"N 100°52'03.9"E



Go through security.





I have to leave my pocket knife with staff, who take it on the boat and return it in Hua Hin. Alcohol is not allowed either, someone else had to leave a can of beer.

Find your seat. Ticket has seat number, however at under 20% occupancy, I take a seat closer to aisle.



Business class is on upper floor and has tables:



Ferry leaves on time 10:30 without any announcement. Passengers have to stay inside throughout the trip, pictures taken through window.



Screenshot from google maps on my phone (notice no mobile connection on the ferry, I didn't ask about WiFi):



12:20 mountains appear vaguely on the horizon.
12:25 mountains are clearly visible.
12:30 can clearly recognize Khao Takiap.



12:40 ferry is at the pier at
12.513340, 99.980940 = 12°30'48.0"N 99°58'51.4"E
12:48 I step on the pier.

A pleasant ride, I wish them success and I will take the ferry again whenever I can combine Pattaya and Hua Hin.



The same spot, picture taken on 1jan2017 during a recce trip in that area:



There is no signage for the ferry at the soi that leads to the pier.

ซอยอ่าวหัวดอน 3 Soi Ao Hua Don 3 (in google maps as
ซอย อ่าวตะเกียบ 1 Ta-Kiap Bay 1 Alley, I submitted correction).
There is a Family Mart เลขที่ 13/93 4435 สาขา หัวหิน เขาตัเกียบ Family Mart Branch 4435 Hua Hin Khao Takiap at the corner.



Getting to and from the pier in Hua Hin Khao Takiap leaves passengers with a transportation problem. Green songtheo Airport - Khao Takiap ends here 12.518906,99.976186 = 12°31'08.1"N 99°58'34.3"E which is 1.0 km walk to/from the pier.

I was lucky, there was a green songtheo standing and people with suitcases were boarding. I asked them if they hired it or if it is a regular songtheo: regular. But obviously, they didn't know the difference (they showed their hotel bookings to driver, which means they hired the songtheo). Nonetheless, I stay on and see where it leads me. A quick ride along hwy4, then into Soi 65 to Wannara hotel where some get off and pay 180 Baht per person as far as I understood. Then songtheo turns around and drives south, I press the bell, get off and give the driver 10 Baht, which he takes with a disapproving remark. From here, I can easily walk.

There is a fishing pier centrally located in Hua Hin (between soi 53 and 55), with construction work going on, I hope this will become the ferry pier in Hua Hin:



Someone commented somewhere that ferries in Thailand walk a fine line between sinking from overcrowded and not economically viable due to lack of passengers.


Update: more reports can be found on the forums
http://www.gaythailand.com/forums/topic/10842-hua-hin-report-by-ferry/?hl=ferry 
(and indeed, I noticed that there are different numbering systems for seats, but didn't point it out in this post)
http://gaybuttonthai.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8191

Copyright 2017 ChristianPFC

2 comments:

  1. thank you for a great report, now we need to wait how economically viable this service will be

    ReplyDelete
  2. *(my questions were answered within a reasonable time).

    ReplyDelete

Comments are currently unmoderated and open to everyone. I will see how this works out and might switch to moderation. Please sign your comment with a name or identifier.