Ban Ta Klang Elephant Village หมู่บ้านช้างบ้านตากลาง
Located at Ban Ta Klang, Krapho Sub-district, Tha Tum District, Surin Province. บ้านตากลาง ต.กระโพ อ.ท่าตูม จ.สุรินทร์
52 km by road north of Surin town, 20 km by car west of hwy 214 (Surin - Roi Et) from Nong Tat หนองตาด.
Map of the area:
Erawan museum under construction:
Various other elephant related constructions and shrines:
Of course, there were life elephants as well (more than I have seen anytime before in my life):
May I draw my readers' attention to the elephant's penis that's almost touching the ground:
But I didn't go there for live elephants, I went for dead elephants! Elephant cemetery is here (under the trees)
Near Wat Pa Achiang วัดป่าอาเจียง.
Sign says: สุสานช้าง Elephant's Graveyard.
The dead elephants are first buried elsewhere, and after some years the bones are transferred to here. You can probably lift the lid (designed to look like a hat) to have a look (I didn't). Nearby is a pit which displays two skeletons:
There is a quality post on the village and graveyard here:
http://www.renegadetravels.com/elephant-graveyard-ban-ta-klang-elephant-village/
http://www.renegadetravels.com/elephant-graveyard-ban-ta-klang-elephant-village/
I went by van and got off on hwy 214 and hitchhiked to elephant village, from there hitchhiked to Buriram for return to Bangkok.
Copyright 2015 ChristianPFC
No comments:
Post a Comment
Comments are currently unmoderated and open to everyone. I will see how this works out and might switch to moderation. Please sign your comment with a name or identifier.