Dating
Thai boys (47) Silence is golden
There
is a saying “speech is silver, silence is golden” which I fully subscribe to.
Some of my Thai friends talk too much, especially when it comes to confessing
their love to me, and I’m often forced to answer a “I love you” with “I like
you too” (hope they don’t notice the difference), and “I miss you” with “I miss
you too” (omitting that this applies to many others as well) because everything
else would be awkward.
Meine Art, Liebe zu zeigen (Dalia Lavi 1972)
Full
lyrics here: http://www.songtexte.com/songtext/daliah-lavi/meine-art-liebe-zu-zeigen-2bcce882.html,
below selected lines with my liberal translation:
Meine
Art Liebe zu zeigen
My way to show my love
das ist ganz einfach Schweigen. Is to be quiet.
Worte
zerstören Words
destroy
wo sie nicht hingehören. Where they don’t
belong.
Schwöre keinen lauten Schwur Don’t promise the moon,
stell mir keine Fragen
Don’t
ask me things
träum
die Sternenpartitur Look at the stars
ohne
was zu sagen. Without saying a word.
Is
there an English or Thai song or saying with the same message?
I
Just Called to Say I Love You (Stevie Wonder 1984)
Now
this truly is anathema to me, I almost puked when I read the lyrics.
A
boy I met recently called me 3 times in one day, and had he continued I would have
had to do something about it. What I consider reasonable would be one exchange
of messages per day and one call per week. With my parents I’m down to one or
two emails per month.
Copyright
2016 ChristianPFC
When you truly will fall in love you will be waiting for that calls and messages impatiently and 1 hour of silence will be eternity I think
ReplyDeleteIndeed I have been enamored with several boys where I waited for reply and if no reply checked if messages were read, looked at their facebook every few hours, and so on. Unfortunately, the feeling was not mutual.
Deleteif you really want to date thai boys, do you not think that the words "I love you" will eventually come up?
ReplyDeleteYes, after a reasonable time (weeks or months), but not after meeting once, or in some cases just chatting without even meeting. "I love you" is used inflationary and has lost all meaning. Anyway, it's better to show love by actions and not by words.
DeleteTerrible translation as it is word by word and does not convey the meaning in English.
ReplyDeleteBetter?
I show my love
By my silence
As words are not
Adequate to show my feelings
I will not promise
So don’t ask about my love
I will just look at the stars
And not say a word
Hello darkness, my old friend
ReplyDeleteI've come to talk with you again
Because a vision softly creeping
Left its seeds while I was sleeping
And the vision that was planted in my brain
Still remains
Within the sound of silence
In restless dreams I walked alone
Narrow streets of cobblestone
'Neath the halo of a street lamp
I turned my collar to the cold and damp
When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence
And in the naked light I saw
Ten thousand people, maybe more
People talking without speaking
People hearing without listening
People writing songs that voices never share
And no one dared
Disturb the sound of silence
"Fools", said I, "You do not know
Silence like a cancer grows
Hear my words that I might teach you
Take my arms that I might reach you"
But my words, like silent raindrops fell
And echoed
In the wells of silence
And the people bowed and prayed
To the neon god they made
And the sign flashed out its warning
The Sound of Silence, Simon and Garfunkel
In the words that it was forming
And the sign said, "The words of the prophets are written on the subway walls
And tenement halls"
And whispered in the sounds of silence
Above by Simon and Garfunkel: The Sound of Silence
ReplyDelete