Art Deco market buildings in South-East Asia
Art Deco is one of my favorite architectural styles, and South-East Asia has several beautiful Art Deco market buildings. Here a collection of places I have been or know from reading, alphabetic by city name.
Central Market Battambang (Cambodia)
Central Market Hpa-An (Myanmar)
I don't know if this market has a name. I came across it while walking through town.
Central Market Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)
I was unaware of the market when I was in Kuala Lumpur in 2011. Later I saw a picture in a travel magazine, and thought: "I bet my left testicle that this building was not built in 1888, but rather some time between 1920 and 1960." And indeed, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_Market,_Kuala_Lumpur says: It was founded in 1888 and originally used as a wet market,[1] while the current Art Deco style building was completed in 1937.
https://areyouhaere.files.wordpress.com/2018/01/dsc07812-e1516534301642.jpg
Central Market Phnom Penh (Cambodia)
The Central Market in Phnom Penh was the reason for my first visit to Cambodia, with Siem Reap and Angkor Wat a side trip.
https://cambodiatourism.co/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/centralmarket1.jpg
Bến Thành Market Saigon (Vietnam)
Scott Market = Bogyoke Market Yangon (Myanmar)
Addendum
National Stadium Bangkok (Thailand)
Not a market hall, but beautiful Art Deco.
http://www.diamondcityhotel.com/images/nearbyhightlight/National%20Stadium%20Bangkok.jpg
Bang Pu Recreation Center Samut Prakan (Thailand)
I have been in 2017.
Centennial Hall Breslau/Wrocław (Poland)
Not in South-East Asia, and not a market, but as it fits in here architecturally and one of my readers is from Breslau (German name) / Wrocław (Polish name), so let me add this place as well.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centennial_Hall
Various cinemas all over South-East Asia
Most cinemas in South-East Asia are in Art Deco style.
The Southeast Asia Movie Theater Project
http://seatheater.blogspot.com/
tries to cover all stand-alone cinemas in South-East Asia,
and I have some articles about cinemas in Thailand https://christianpfc.blogspot.com/search/label/cinema.
Copyright 2018 ChristianPFC except pictures with links
Blog about sightseeing, public transport and gay life in Thailand. Not politically correct. May contain explicit description of homosexual activities and strong language as a stylistic means. If that offends you, you can go here: http://www.imbecile.me/




We can only wish to all that market buildings that they follow Breslau / Wroclaw lead and land on UNESCO's World Heritage list
ReplyDelete