Saturday, 30 March 2019

Opposites: fat and slim rodents

Opposites: fat and slim rodents

"Rodents" to cover, in order of appearance: rat, mouse, shrew.

A friend sent me a link to  
Fat rat stuck in manhole rescued by firefighters in Germany https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/feb/27/fat-rat-stuck-in-manhole-rescued-by-firefighters-in-germany.

source: screenshot from above link

And I thought: I recently saw the opposite:  
How small a hole can a mouse get through? Experiments. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGXYZwZEZa0&t=9s

Shrew squeezes through 16.5 mm hole, epic struggle  
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifCgW1Q_rto

source: screenshot from above link 

That's how I feel when I go through the bars of the "slim-up room" in 39 underground sauna (a room that only people who manage to squeeze through the metal bars can enter). 

No copyright claimed 2019 ChristianPFC

4 comments:

  1. Shrews are not rodents. They are insectivores.
    Best wishes
    Biology Prof

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right. Not my area of expertise, but Wikipedia says so as well:

      Although its external appearance is generally that of a long-nosed mouse, a shrew is not a rodent, as mice are. It is in fact a much closer relative of hedgehogs and moles,...

      But I will leave the title for lack of a better word.

      Delete
  2. Actually, that is debatable. According to the Encyclopedia Britannica, "The definition of Insectivora was significantly modified in 1956 by the insectivore specialist P.M. Butler, who raised Lipotyphla to the rank of order (now containing only hedgehogs, shrews, moles, solenodons, tenrecs, and golden moles), assigned elephant shrews and tree shrews to separate orders, and abandoned the name Insectivora. Most professional mammalogists now use Lipotyphla instead of Insectivora and informally refer to the group as either lipotyphlans or insectivores. Others, however, prefer Insectivora, and that name is still used in lay publications as well as some professional compilations."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I meant the classification as insectivores is debatable.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are currently unmoderated and open to everyone. I will see how this works out and might switch to moderation. Please sign your comment with a name or identifier.