Wednesday, 15 May 2019

Thai - Cambodia railway connection

Thai - Cambodia railway connection
.
Chronology of development of Cambodian railway network, some information from internet, some own observations and pictures.
.
After civil war and genocide, the Cambodian railway network was not used at all or only for freight.
.
There was/is the Bamboo Train in Battambang, where locals used lorries for transportation, and which was a tourist attraction. No personal experience.
.
When I first came to Cambodia in July 2014, railway station in Phnom Penh was not open to public (locked and guarded, used for freight) and there was no passenger train service.
.
Poipet railway station lay abandoned. I had a hotel room with view of railway station, here pictures of the railway station:
.
.
.
Unfortunately, I didn't take pictures of the railway track (there probably was no track, or completely covered with soil or garbage) and the bridge to Thailand, but I remember seeing the bridge when I walked around casinos at night.

Jan2016 Phnom Penh railway station not open to public, but if I wanted I could have followed tracks to get into the railway station.
.
 .
.
Aug 2016 passenger train service started and I can get into railway station.
.
.
.
Sep 2018 Poipet railway station renovated and a timetable and and immigration counter.
.
.
.
Railway bridge over the river to Thailand.
.
.
The track runs south of main road in Thailand and north of main road in Cambodia. It crosses main road in the traffic circle in Poipet.
.

.
Aerial pictures by a friend's drone. Railway bridge in lower right corner of first picture, railway station in upper left corner of second picture.
.
.
.
Battambang railway station in Sep 2018:
.
.
.
.
But the subject of this post is the recently (apr2019) announced opening of cross-border railway service between Thailand and Cambodia.
.
Thailand, Cambodia ready to relaunch rail link
https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/tourism-and-transport/1664764/thailand-cambodia-ready-to-relaunch-rail-link
Cambodia and Thailand reconnected by rail after 45 years
https://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30368126
Cambodia – Thailand rail link inaugurated by prime ministers
https://www.railwaygazette.com/news/news/asia/single-view/view/cambodia-thailand-rail-link-inaugurated-by-prime-ministers.html 
.
As I personally saw, track and railway stations are ready, now only administrative and political problems remain. A train service from Bangkok to Phnom Penh would be a good reason for me to visit Cambodia again.
.
Update jul2019: A friend reports the train from Bangkok now runs up to the border for 49 THB (before Aranyaphrathet 48 THB and public transport on road for 60 THB from memory).
.
Copyright 2019 ChristianPFC

2 comments:

  1. thank you for a very informative post, not to mention quite a nice looking guy on the tracks leading to Phnom Penh station

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I noticed the guy on the tracks. Do you also have any photos with zoom ? (drool)

    Cambodia did open a Phnom Penh to Battambang rail service last year, but it got stopped again for maintenance & I had to take the bus back in December.

    As a warning, the immigration into Thailand at Poipet is exceptionally slow. Took me over 2 hours queuing on the Thai side & I gather 3 hours is quite common. So next time I head from Cambodia into Thailand, it will not be via a land crossing here.
    Z

    ReplyDelete

Comments are currently unmoderated and open to everyone. I will see how this works out and might switch to moderation. Please sign your comment with a name or identifier.