Thursday, 15 October 2020

Brazil Sep2020 Costs/Prices

Brazil Sep2020 Costs/Prices

Cost of my holiday in Brazil and some general notes.

Exchange rates: 1 EUR = 6.41 BRL, 1 USD = 5.51 BRL, 1 BRL = 5.73 THB (25sep2020).

Return flight 508 EUR = 3256 BRL
508 EUR (Berlin-Paris-Sao Paulo with Air France, Rio de Janeiro-Amsterdam-Berlin with KLM). I consider this cheap and the times were fine. 22 EUR = 142 BRL public transport in Germany to airport and back home.

Health insurance 17 EUR = 109 BRL
I had health insurance for 17 EUR. Health insurance not compulsory any more:
https://br.usembassy.gov/health-alert-proof-of-health-insurance-no-longer-required-for-air-travel-to-brazil/

update19dec2020: https://www.traveloffpath.com/brazil-adds-pcr-testing-requirement-for-all-travelers/
----------in Brazil start----------
Clothes and laundry 141 BRL
Shorts 50, hoody 55, public washing machine 18, drying 18. But that saved me paying 80 EUR return for hold luggage to take enough clothes for the entire trip.

Entertainment 746 BRL
(entry prices and drink): 65 (Lagoa) + 79 (269 Chili Pepper) + 35 (upgrade) + 65 (Lagoa) + 46 (upgrade) + 40 (Wild Thermas) + 128 (point 117 for two) + 100 (Henrique moneyboy) + 60 (sauna Copacabana) + 78 (Point202) + 50 (club 117). If saunas had been more busy, or if I had found boys to my taste online, expenses for entertainment would have been higher.

Hotel 2096 BRL
Moncloa 5 nights x 135 = 675, Atlantico Rio 2 nights 157, Augusto 2 nights online 382, 4 nights walk-in x 147 = 882. That’s an average of 161 per night including breakfast.

Meals and drinks 623 BRL
Usually I would not drink in saunas or from hotel room minibars. But in Brazil drinks were quite cheap (a can of beer 330ml for 8 BRL), that I splurged out and had a few drinks in sauna and from hotel room mini bar. Drinks in saunas are filed under entertainment.

Breakfast included in hotel costs. I had some days where I was not hungry and had only snacks for lunch or dinner, and had two meals where I had food left over that I took home.

individual meals or drinks in chronological order: 36, 50.80, 46, 3, 12.40, 6, 15, 8, 24.90, 48, 7, 19.90, 8.50, 34.55, 3, 9, 70.40 (for two), 6, 6, 13, 10, 10, 10, 12, 67, 5.65, 14.90, 5, 6, 17.90, 19.90, 10, 7

Sightseeing 439.50
40 (guided tour Temple of Solomon)+33.50 (Christ the Redeemer)+200 (guide with car Rio)+116 (Sugarloaf cable car), 50 (rope and climbing gear at Pedra da Gavea)

Transportation 146.98
6.75+4.40+4.40+17.09 (uber)+4.40+4.40+17.24 (uber)+50 (riocard)+5.50 (buy single ticket because riocard was low and no top-up machine in metro station)+32.80 (riocard top up 50, 19.80 left)

----------in Brazil end----------

A total of 4193 BRL = 654 EUR spent in Brazil, 4193 BRL = 654 EUR for the Brazilian tourism industry, nothing for countries with less liberal immigration policies during Corona.

I feel I got good value for money, except for 80 (estimated)+25 (estimated)+194 = 299 BRL losses due to unfavorable money exchange or ATM fees.

After return, Covid test in Germany free (up to 10 days after return from risk areas), but my doctor sent me an invoice of 22.44 EUR = 144 BRL of costs that are not covered by health insurance. Currently a covid test would cost between 100 and 150 EUR. It can be cheaper to go to a risk area and return to avail oneself of a free test.

I read that for Dutch this is the only way to get a Covid test. People without symptoms can’t get tested in the Netherlands; if they want to travel somewhere that requires a negative test, they travel to a risk area in Germany and then can get a test on return.

Total cost: 4193 BRL = 654 EUR spent in Brazil, 508 EUR = 3256 BRL return flight, 22 EUR = 142 BRL to airport and back home, 17 EUR = 109 BRL health insurance, 22.44 EUR = 144 BRL Covid test on return makes 1223 EUR = 7844 BRL.

Under the current travel restrictions for SEAsia, if you can get to Cambodia (no tourist visas at the moment), you will spend that amount of money to get there and for Covid tests and for two days in state quarantine and two weeks in home quarantine. If you can get to Thailand (no tourist visas at the moment), you will spend that money for two weeks in quarantine alone.

This concludes my trip report Brazil Sep2020. Previous parts here:
https://christianpfc.blogspot.com/2020/09/brazil-sep2020-general-observations.html
https://christianpfc.blogspot.com/2020/10/brazil-sep2020-gay-activities.html
https://christianpfc.blogspot.com/2020/10/brazil-sep2020-sightseeing.html

Copyright 2020 ChristianPFC

5 comments:

  1. Thank you, I still think SE Asia is better destination

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, do agree too for that, though the diff, is less as I assumed it to be.
    Now that quick covid tests are rapidly available and some/not that many people require neg-results to travel or for whatever, commercially available short time tests-ONLY for those having no symptoms!!-are available about any larger town for around 99-120 eur. A ´fit to fly´ document from a medical person cost about 60-80 eur.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the interesting post.

    If I could accept the covid risk, going to Brazil on holiday is much better than staying at home because I can't get into Thailand.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Still don't get why you didn't go to Colombia considering our similar tastes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It just opened for tourism and there were/are still limitations of public life. Limited flight connections. I would need a yellow fever vaccination (which I will get next trip to Brazil, in preparation for a trip to Colombia). Weather in Bogota will be cold, but I'm looking for somewhere warm in winter.

      Delete

Comments are currently unmoderated and open to everyone. I will see how this works out and might switch to moderation. Please sign your comment with a name or identifier.