Wednesday, 10 February 2021

Bokor National Park (2)

Bokor National Park (2) Man-made attractions

For a good description of Bokor National Park and a map see here: http://www.asienreisender.de/bokor.html (many other good stuff on this website as well!)  Here just some pictures and a few notes in order of visit:

1. Yeay Mao Monument
2. Black Palace
3. Giant abandoned hall
4. Sampov Pram Temple
5. Casino and Hotel
6. Abandoned French church
7. Mushroom
8. Bokor Hill Station
9. More man-made structures

From entrance gate to Sampov Pram Temple it’s a long winding road, 31 km long from sea level to about 1000 m above sea level. They should have built a cable car about 6 km to highway 3. I asked several people if it’s possible to hike, and the best answer I got is that I would have to ask at the national park office so they can send a ranger to guide me. 

Entrance gate on highway 3:

1. Yeay Mao Monument
About half way from entrance gate to Sampov Pram Temple.

 

2. Black Palace
Across the road from Yeay Mao Monument








3. Giant abandoned hall
Giant building, judging by damage on roof, abandoned for original use, some people live and store stuff inside.
Measured on googlemaps satellite view, it is 140 m wide (parallel to road, opposite temple wall) and 104 m deep. The segments on the wall are about 120 cm high, there are 10 segments to eaves = 12 m and 20 segments to ridge = 24 m height. 





View from old temple, giant hall behind new temple building:



4. Sampov Pram Temple
Old (1920s) temple buildings on the cliff with view 1000 m down to the sea.





5. Casino and Hotel



6. Abandoned French church 

I missed climbing the hill behind the church, which should offer good views.


7. Mushroom
This structure, called mushroom for obvious reasons, was constructed as a shelter or viewpoint? Church and giant hall in background.


8. Bokor Hill Station
This French colonial building was abandoned for decades, but I'm late, it has been renovated recently.


from: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bokor_Hill_Station





9. More man-made structures
For sake of completeness, without details: Chinese temple near casino, water towers, Bokor City construction.

Copyright 2021 ChristianPFC

1 comment:

  1. Much more interesting place than I ever thought.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are currently unmoderated and open to everyone. I will see how this works out and might switch to moderation. Please sign your comment with a name or identifier.