Thursday, 18 July 2024

Danxia Shan hiking

Danxia Shan hiking
China is full of mountains that I would call world-class, but little known outside of China (other than being UNESCO cultural heritage). Once you know your way around in China and speak a bit Chinese, they are easy to reach (public transport, hotels and restaurants in walking distance). During holiday season it must be crowded, but in off season a delight! You can see installations to process thousands of visitors per day, but in off season there are only hundred.

This trip (Apr2024), my original plan was Fangjing Shan, but weather forecast was rain for a week. So I changed my plans and went to Danxia Shan instead.

Danxia is the Chinese name for a landform of red sandstone rock and used for similar places all over China. The name comes from the rocks in Danxia 丹霞山, Shaoguan 韶关市, Guangdong, which I went to.

Similar landforms appear in Thailand in Phu Tok (Bueng Karn) and Phu Langka (Nakhon Phanom).

Monumental entrance to national park in rain. I lost one day for rain; national park was not open that day for safety reasons and I spent the day in my hotel room.


First view of two of the main attractions, pavilion on top of mountain and Male Rock in foreground. Exact location of Male Rock 25.0432, 113.7317, pavilion 25.0431, 113.7306.


Due to weather and position of sun I couldn't take a good picture of Male Rock, h
ere one from internet:

source: https://dynamic-media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-o/1a/58/9a/3d/caption.jpg?w=600&h=600&s=1

There is a viewing platform with a plate that tells the story in Chinese and English, here English version as I found it:

The Synopsis of Yang Yuan Rock
Yang Yuan Rock is popular named "Ancestral Rocks"
It is the First Strange Rock Under Heaven. It is 28
metres in height and 7 metres in diameter. It became
named from the Strange Rock is exactly like the
reproductive organs of the male sex. According as a
result of textual research with experts. In ancient
Chinese characters. The word “ancestor " is a
pictographic character. In archeology, people found
that the reproductive organs of the male sex of
sculpture with the ancients chipped rock implement.
It is named "Rock Ancestor" Make pottery with soil
is called “Pottery ancestor” And it is
called “Wooden Ancestor” with the woodcut. People
proceed from nature shaped like a column of
worship. So they called it “Rock Ancestor”. As
As the Strange Rock is the root, the ancestor, the god.
People pay respects to inquired the roof of the
ancestor. It's not excessive. It is said that if
someone pay respects to it. He will desire to bear
a son. He will get a son. And if he will desire
to a daughter. He will get a daughter. Do you
believe in that?


Narrow and steep stairway to mountaintop:



From there you can see the back of Male Rock:



On top of mountain is a forest and a path. One side pavilion and viewpoint as dead end. Other side an old fortification and Jiujiu Sky Ladder 25.043, 113.7263.



Drone video on internet:
https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=3524887031076837
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KC1cg3bZubs
Climb up the steep Jiujiu "sky ladder," which is carved into the ridge on the Danxia Mountain, to enjoy the awe-inspiring natural view from a new perspective in Shaoguan City, south China's Guangdong Province.

Another attraction is a natural rock bridge 25.047, 113.7275 that you can walk both underneath and cross over.



Breast stone. One must have a good imagination and be very horny to see two breasts here.



Whereas the following Female Rock does not require much imagination. It comes with a kind of chastity belt to prevent people from getting close/in.




Cliffside walkway 25.0252, 113.7381 to another observation pavilion:



I spent two enjoyable days hiking. There are more trails, of lesser interest to me or closed, in total one could spend 5 days. As is often the case, I have a rough idea what to expect and figure out the details, and learn of places I didn't know from internet, once I'm there. Here a map with a hiking trail:


There used to be Shaoguan Danxia Mountain Sex Culture Museum at the entrance of the national park, I found the building and remnants of the name, but the museum has closed years ago.

Ther
e was China Sex Museum in Shanghai, permanently closed as well. There is a rock that looks like a penis in Hong Kong, pictures on google maps under Nui Po Shan 女婆山 or 陽元石.

The Male Rock didn't make into Nature's Dick Pics or their instagram.  

Copyright 2024 ChristianPFC except linked picture and video

1 comment:

  1. looks like excellent destination. Thank you for good laugh over "reproductive organ of male sex", sounds so sophisticated

    ReplyDelete

Comments are currently unmoderated and open to everyone. I will see how this works out and might switch to moderation. Please sign your comment with a name or identifier.