Covid-19 diary
A diary how Covid-19 affected my life and travel.
10feb2020 Bangkok
My first Covid-19 related activity, taking picture of reduced visitor
numbers at Erawan Shrine, see previous post here: https://christianpfc.blogspot.com/2020/04/covid-19-in-bangkok.html
(Many other entries here have accompanying pictures in that post.)
Fri14feb2020
Cancel a trip to Kunming – Taipei – Hong Kong that was planned for end
of February to mid of April. Finally it pays off that I book flight only weeks
before trip to stay flexible. In this case, nothing booked, can change my plans
without losses. I’m afraid of getting in quarantine in one of these places, or
not being able to come back to Thailand.
Go to Vietnam and Cambodia instead (closer to Thailand, and I wanted
to go to Vietnam again anyway, and a friend from Germany who will not be in
Thailand any time soon is in Saigon).
Wed26feb2020 Bangkok
Don Mueang Airport DMK very quiet. I have never been that fast (just
minutes, with no queue or one or two people in front of me) through passport
control and security.
Sun1mar2020 Hanoi
Ho-Chi-Minh mausoleum and museum quiet. I remember crowds of people
during my last visit in 2016. No obvious changes in public life. But these notes in travel agencies and hotel do not bode well:
Danang and Saigon
No obvious changes in public life here.
Fri6mar2020 Saigon to Phnom Penh
Bus from Saigon to Phnom Penh and border crossing other than low number of people crossing the border, no obvious changes. (But travel restrictions would be introduced soon, a week later a friend barely made it from Saigon to Phnom Penh by bus.)
Fri6mar2020 Saigon to Phnom Penh
Bus from Saigon to Phnom Penh and border crossing other than low number of people crossing the border, no obvious changes. (But travel restrictions would be introduced soon, a week later a friend barely made it from Saigon to Phnom Penh by bus.)
Tue10mar2020 Phnom Penh
Before boarding bus from Phnom Penh to Siem Reap, every passenger has
their forehead temperature checked and has to disinfect their hands with
alcohol.
Pub Street less busy than last time.
Angkor Archaeological Park has a promotion: a one-day ticket (37 USD)
is valid for two days. Only now do I realize that Covid-19 is a chance to see
places that are usually full of tourists empty.
But while planning how to use these two days, it occurs to me that
travel restrictions might be imposed soon. And I certainly do not want to be
stuck in Cambodia, unable to get back into Thailand!
Thu12mar2020 Siem Reap to Surin
For travel from Siem Reap to Surin see my post on Thaivisa:
https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1150154-siem-reap-to-osmach-or-choam/ and the following copied from there:
Before reaching Thai immigration counter, my forehead temperature was
measures 3 times (by three different people) and noted on TM6 form, with stamp
and signature by medical services. I had to fill out TM8 as well.
At immigration counter, I had to follow officer to his office. My visa
history was no issue, he rather wanted to know where I was (Vietnam, Cambodia),
if there were Chinese/Japanese/Korean tourists, if people wore face masks.
And finally this document (a poor copy or fax, the stamp says Royal
Thai Consul General Penang), which requires German passport holders who apply
for a visa to submit a health certificate.
How did they get this document? So I had to follow an un-uniformed
helper to a health service station to fill out one more form. Afterward
question where I'm going (Surin, tourism, Elephant village) and where I will
stay (show hotel booking). And then, after total 25 minutes, finally in (VE 30
days)!
There were no other Whites, but a trickle of locals crossing the
border.
Sat14mar2020
I email my parents about my return to Thailand and tell them that if
international travel is disrupted, I spend the rest of the year rather in
Thailand than in Germany.
Shopping in Makro, customers have their forehead temperature measured
before being allowed to enter.
Tue17mar2020 Sakaew
Trip to Sakaew for boy business and temples. I used to give him 500
THB; today he asks for 1000 because he cannot go to work now. We had many good
times, I was thinking of a bonus anyway, so I give him 1000.
Thu19mar2020
A friend from Germany arrives in Suvarnabhumi and goes directly to his
place in Hua Hin. Soon after, there would be travel restrictions for tourists
coming to Thailand. I had planned to visit him in Hua Hin two weeks later, cancelled
for Covid-19.
Sat21mar2020 Bangkok
Have lunch with a Farang friend in an Italian restaurant (I didn't know at that time that that would be my last meal
in a restaurant).
At night, Khao San less busy than usual, and no loud music. Only few
venues playing music at low volume.
Sun22mar2020 Bangkok
Announcement that all restaurants can only provide take-home meals, no
more sitting and eating in restaurants!
A regular lost his job in Bangkok and spends his last night before going home with me. Actually he says he cannot go home to Phetchabun because there are travel restrictions, but will go to grandparents in Suphanburi. He asks to borrow 2000 THB, which I give him.
A regular lost his job in Bangkok and spends his last night before going home with me. Actually he says he cannot go home to Phetchabun because there are travel restrictions, but will go to grandparents in Suphanburi. He asks to borrow 2000 THB, which I give him.
Tue24mar2020 Bangkok
I had packed for a trip to Pattaya and called bus company to ask if
buses are running regularly. Even with bars closed, I know enough boys who are
worthy recipients of my Covid-19 alleviation program and I want to see what
Pattaya looks like without tourists.
But half an hour before I leave, a Thai friend comes to my room which
delays my departure and he shows me news about announcement of state of
emergency on Thursday. That would be the day of my return, and as I don’t know
if there will be travel restrictions, or if public transport will run normally,
cancel the trip. I don’t want to be stuck in Pattaya unable to get back to
Bangkok!
Shopping at Makro, buy food and fruit to last for two weeks.
Wed25mar2020
Bars and restaurants closed, state of emergency will be declared
tomorrow, that’s not what I had in mind when I said on 14mar2020 “spend the
rest of the year rather in Thailand than in Germany”.
I completely misjudged the development, and now a full turn around,
book a flight to Germany for next week. Give surplus fruit from Makro yesterday to a friend. Many airlines cancelled flights, now
there is a choice between Aeroflot and Finnair.
I would not want to be stranded in Moscow during transit (and that fear
proved valid, in the time between my decision to return to Germany and the
flight, travel restrictions imposed by Russia meant that people could not on
their connecting flight and were stranded in airports), and Finnair has better
times, so it is Finnair.
At 38,950 THB (1,123 EUR) one-way Bangkok-Helsinki-Berlin my most
expensive flight (average is 15,000).
Have a stroll through Silom, Thaniya, Surawon: most places closed, everywhere
dark.
Fri27mar2020 Bangkok
A regular from Pattaya (Mickey from Laos) comes to Bangkok to get a
letter from Lao embassy (required for extension of stay) and afterwards comes
to my room. We had many good times, good English, on time, no drama or games,
for 1000 THB each, time for a bonus: 2000 THB to help in difficult times
(Covid-19).
(Lest my readers think I am getting careless with money: only boys who I think deserve my support in difficult times get a bonus).
(Lest my readers think I am getting careless with money: only boys who I think deserve my support in difficult times get a bonus).
Sun29mar2020 Bangkok
Go to Central World shopping mall: except food world everything closed,
parking and shopping center empty.
Wed1apr2020 Bangkok to Berlin
When I booked the flight I was expecting scenes like 1h38-43min in
Stalingrad (1993) English Subtitles
Stalingrad (1993) English Subtitles
Overall, I got through this (so far, it’s not over yet!) quite well.
Other travellers are stuck in airports or quarantine or foreign countries. Locals
don’t have money to pay their rent or buy food. Some people died. I just have
to find ways to entertain myself for several months in Germany.
Just three weeks ago, when a Farang friend announced his premature
return, I though “You will be missing all the fun. Boys galore, get a seat
in public transport, tourist attractions without crowds”. But now, news
after my return, confirmed that I did the right thing to return to Germany to
sit Covid-19 out here.
Copyright 2020 ChristianPFC

Stay safe at home until all is over but watch your waist. Being close to refrigerator 7/24 is not good for keeping one's size
ReplyDeleteSi I must have been about the last one to return on regular base-SWissair to Zur, late eve onward connection cancelled, but Swis put me up in a flashy hotel and on next morning-when here the all things closed was announced-all empty in train etc, seeing 2 monthes of mail and now sitting @ home and can do nothing as getting bored and reading yoyr reports. Bleib gesund!
ReplyDelete