Bokor National Park (1) Natural Attractions
There was no entry fee to Bokor National Park. Many people ride there by mocy, but I have no driving license and it's too uncomfortable, so I rented car and driver for 55 USD for a daytrip to Bokor National Park. And one day was just enough to see everything of interest to me. In chronological order:
1. Stones at Yeay Mao Monument
2. Popokvil Waterfall
3. “100 Ricefields”
4. “500 Ricefields”
5. Nepenthes field
6. Gateway stones
7. Balanced rocks at Sampov Pram Pagoda
8. Eroded rocks at Bokor Hill Station
1. Stones at Yeay Mao Monument
2. Popokvil Waterfall
Now just a trickle. On lower level of waterfall, an interesting rock looks like a cube from a certain angle and holes from erosion in river bed. I didn’t see an obvious way down, but on google maps there are pictures taken at the lower level and hotel manager said it’s a difficult and long way down.
3. “100 Ricefields”
Free entry, it’s along the road.
4. “500 Ricefields”
At the entrance (10.6538, 104.0027), there is a tollbooth that was not manned for lack of tourists. It’s a dead end, about 5 km drive from junction. My driver said he hasn’t been there before because tourists he took were happy with 100 Ricefields, but I say 500 Ricefields is definitely worth a visit, even with entry, and to see 5. Nepenthes and 6. Gateway Stones you have to pay entry anyway.
5. Nepenthes field
When I planned the trip to Kampot and Bokor National Park and didn't know about Nepenthes. I saw such pictures a few times in online dating profiles, but thought it's somewhere in Africa or America.
On the subject of insectivorous plants, there is Drosera = Sundew as well.
6. Gateway stones
There was a board with a story in Khmer about these stones. Coordinates 10.6844,103.9822
All stones are grey, but fresh surface and sand (picture below) formed from the stones is white.
7. Balanced rocks at Sampov Pram Pagoda
There is a story behind it and name might be different, but it was all in Khmer.
8. Eroded rocks at Bokor Hill Station
From Bokor Hill Station about 200 m NE, near the water tower.
Copyright 2021 ChristianPFC
thank you , interesting enough for 1 day outing
ReplyDeleteHi Christian,
ReplyDeleteany precautions required in the countryside due to mines?
No warning signs and nobody I met mentioned mines.
DeleteHi Christian
ReplyDeleteThanks for another fascinating post.
I've never even thought about hiring a car for the madhouse driving in Cambodia. But I can see the sense here, as there's naff all in Kampot, the roads are quiet and it's an easy way to do the park. How was the process of hiring a car ? Bearing in mind even supposedly reputable companies like Europcar will try and scam customers in Europe, how was it in Cambodia ? Also, any encounters with the bribe collectors ?
Z
I asked at my guesthouse (I got along well with manager and they offer tours as well), and he organized a car with driver for me. In Siem Reap similar, ask my local friend for a car and driver hire. From total three trips (one Kampot, two SR), the average is 55 USD for 100 km trip and 10 hours duration. No encounters with bribe collectors. I wouldn't drive myself, no idea about car rental.
DeleteThanks. Sorry, I was not paying attention there !
DeleteI suspect the car hire price was about right.
For comparison:
I paid about $120 from Siem Reap to Preah Vihear, but the round trip is somewhere near 400km.
Also, I think it was still $40 from Siem Reap to Poipet by taxi (a much quicker trip these days).
Z