Saturday, 14 May 2022

Quiz: What's the purpose?

Quiz: What's the purpose?



A pre-quiz might be to find out what is shown in the picture. It's explained after the following cat pictures taken from:

22 Photos That Prove Anything Looks Better With a Cat Face
https://brightside.me/wonder-curiosities/22-photos-that-prove-anything-looks-better-with-a-cat-face-796601/





A wooden leg of a table in a small plastic cup in a large plastic cup, with water between the cups.


Solution in a week.

Solution: Table legs in cups filled with water to prevent insects from getting on the table.

You would think it's self explaining, but the friend I asked to look after my room during my absence managed to fill the inner cup with water, getting the wooden legs wet and leaching paint out of them.

Elsewhere I have seen industrially produced double cups, and the space between them filled with a powder that insects won't cross?


Temples sometimes have their library (ho trai หอไตร) in a building on stilts in a pool for the same purpose.


A cheap small-scale variant to store food is to get two plates, pour water on the first plate, then put the second plate on top. Food on second plate is now protected by water between plates.

Mrigadayavan Palace (north of Hua Hin, open to public) has a building that has a groove filled with water around the wall for the same purpose.

Copyright2022 ChristianPFC except cat pictures

5 comments:

  1. Prevents ants from crawling up the table’s leg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Correct. Details and full story later.

      Delete
    2. I’m living with a Thai and know the disgust for ants and the will to fight them ;)

      Delete
  2. I was thinking the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely to keep some kind of insects off the table.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are currently unmoderated and open to everyone. I will see how this works out and might switch to moderation. Please sign your comment with a name or identifier.