Cycling around Siem Reap Nov2023
Two days of cycling around Siem Reap in chronological order. Names as in google maps or coordinates: Airplane House, Wat Chedei Temple, Wat Krabi Riel Pagoda, Chork Pagoda, ArtBox, The Western Siem Reap Bus station, (no English name) វត្តខ្នាតរង្សី Buddhistischer Tempel, Spean Memay (Ancient Bridge), Prasat Ak Yum, Old Siem Reap Airport, abandoned hotel.
Airplane House
From social media I learnt about a building in shape of an airplane and managed to find exact location 13.35468, 103.80961.
I didn't come all the way to look at the airplane from outside the fence. The fence and gate work well to keep elephants, rhinoceroses and hippopotamuses off the premises; I didn't see a single elephant, rhinoceros or hippopotamus inside. But inefficient for humans.
It's complete and might have been in operation, no idea why it's abandoned now. See here as well: https://christianpfc.blogspot.com/2022/04/aircraft-as-decoration-in-cambodia.html
Wat Chedei Temple
Leaving from airplane house, I spot an inviting temple gate. That was not my original plan, but can't resist to check on google maps where it leads, interesting, go there.
Beside an operating contemporary Wat, there is an abandoned structure and old chedi (but not Khmer empire old).
Should I go up or should I not go up this ladder? I shun no effort or danger to entertain my readers, in this case I asked a local first if it's safe, no objections. View from roof:
Wat Krabi Riel Pagoda
Muddy, potholed road see previous post. The interesting part is the Buddhist Hell mural:
Chork Pagoda
On the way back another temple. I just can't pass a temple!
Art Box
Looks closed, only now checking on google maps do I see it's still operating.
The Western Siem Reap Bus Station
By chance come across abandoned The Western Siem Reap Bus Station. I didn't know they have such a big bus station! Many times bigger than the operational one east of town.
(no English name) វត្តខ្នាតរង្សី Buddhistischer Tempel
Unusual concrete moldings (looks like stone carvings) and grey color. Entrance gate in style of Tonle Om Gate (Southern Gate) of Bayon.
Spean Memay (Ancient Bridge)
An Angkor-era laterite corbelled arch bridge. More on that subject here: https://christianpfc.blogspot.com/2023/01/angkorean-bridges.html Now standing dry in the countryside, apart from a puddle of water during rainy season.
Wat Tol Khpuos no pictures
Prasat Ak Yum
Wat Svay Romeat Pagoda no pictures
Old Siem Reap Airport
New Siem Reap Airport opened on 16nov2023. https://www.siemreap.net/guides/travel/siem-reap-angkor-international-airport/
Old airport no more air traffic but still some activity on ground.
Abandoned Hotel
Just like temples, I can't pass abandoned places. This former hotel ("REAC" at reception, there might be letters missing; big name plate on front wall blocked by vegetation) at 13.38115, 103.82855 everything wide open, just walk in and enjoy.
Copyright 2023 ChristianPFC
Blog about sightseeing, public transport and gay life in Thailand. Not politically correct. May contain explicit description of homosexual activities and strong language as a stylistic means. If that offends you, you can go here: http://www.imbecile.me/























I imagine that Cambodia doesn't have "Working at Height" regulations to keep you off the ladder.
ReplyDeleteJ
Khortose: Wow. Really great. thanks.
ReplyDeleteagain , great finds for us readers
ReplyDelete