Friday, 24 May 2024

Travel toothpaste

Travel toothpaste


One of the small joys in my otherwise dull life is refilling my travel toothpaste tube (35 g). I hold my mother toothpaste tube's mouth to my travel toothpaste tube's mouth and press on the mother toothpaste (150 g). Of the conceivable outcomes
1. nothing happens,
2. the toothpaste flows out through the gap,
3. the toothpaste flows from mother to travel,
4. the toothpaste disappears and re-appears in a parallel universe;
the for my purpose favorable 3. happens. This reduces plastic waste * and saves me money, and I don't have to carry 115 g more toothpaste ** with me when traveling.

* Re-filling vs. buying 35 g toothpaste tubes. If I were taking the 150 g toothpaste tube on my trips, that would produce even less plastic waste.
** For full tubes; for partially empty tubes the saving in weight is less.

Long time ago, my dentist told me that a pea-sized amount of toothpaste is enough. In advertisements, you usually see the full length of the toothbrush covered by toothpaste.

There is travel toothpaste in form of tablets available, that you wet in your mouth and then brush your teeth regularly. Baking soda (sodium hydrogen carbonate) can be used the same way.

There are devices to squeeze the last bit of toothpaste out of the tube, however I found the back of a comb works as well. But when I cut off the front end to remove the last bits of toothpaste, I find the squeezed-out part still contains some toothpaste. Nowadays I squeeze and then add drops of water and shake to homogenize and get the remaining out.

Update: Matador - Refillable Toothpaste Tubes
https://www.facebook.com/matadorth/posts/740933481379463
Squeeze Out Every Bit Of Toothpaste Easily And Get The Most For Your Money
https://www.instagram.com/p/CJ-BR4uAO7k/ 

Copyright 2024 ChristianPFC

1 comment:

  1. I also have been doing this for years.
    In the winter, it can be helpful to warm the small tube up first, but I doubt that would be necessary in Thailand.
    J

    ReplyDelete

Comments are currently unmoderated and open to everyone. I will see how this works out and might switch to moderation. Please sign your comment with a name or identifier.