Saturday, 15 February 2025

Wat Banglamung

Wat Banglamung
Wat Bang Lamung วัดบางละมุง is easily accessible by public transport from Pattaya (18 km by road from Walking street, 400 m from Sukhumvit road near Laem Chabang) and boasts an ubosot decorated in ceramics, a whale skeleton, a large pine tree and an abandoned brick ubosot. 




Whale skeleton. The Thai text is:
กระดูกปลาวาฬใหญ่ในอำเภอบางละมุง
ยาวประมาณ ๗ วา ใหญ่ที่สุดในทะเลไทย
พบเมื่อวันที่ ๒๙ มิถุนายน ๒๕๓๗
ที่ชายหาดทะเลบางละมุง ในเขตท่าเรือแหลมฉบัง จังหวัดชลบุรี

and translates as (google translate, I would translate similar):
Large whale bones in Bang Lamung District
About 7 wa long, the largest in the Thai sea
(1 wa = 2 m)
Found on June 29, 1994
at Bang Lamung Beach in the Laem Chabang Port area, Chonburi Province

The lower jaw bones are not in natural position.




Pine tree. The Thai and Chinese text is:
ต้นสนใหญ่ที่สุด ในประเทศไทย
ปลูกสมัยพระเจ้าตาก สินอายุ 200 กว่าปี
And translates as (google translate works well):
The largest pine tree in Thailand
Planted during the reign of King Taksin, more than 200 years old

松巨 年餘百二寺佛立屹
translates as (Chinese friend, google translate no use here):
Big pine tree has been standing for 200 years.
(and the small maybe 許祥銘書, Chinese friend can't make much sense of it, thinks it's name of author and book).



I was going to have a coconut water, but then I saw the price of 70 THB, which is tourist pricing. Would cost 30 - 40 elsewhere in similar circumstances. The fact that drink and food menu were in Chinese gave a hint, and later a tour bus with Chinese tourists arrived. That's why they can charge 70 THB for a coconut water.

Nearby is an old Ubosot โบสถ์ร้าง บางละมุง (abandoned Ubosot of Wat Banglamung) 13.0467, 100.921.




The following link is a post in Thai from 2013 with the same subject as mine, some changes since then: https://www.oknation.net/ท่องเที่ยว/ชายสามหยด/634f6effc72899eea025c30b (has picture of a sign that has the history of the pine tree; I didn't see it when I went).

Once I was in the area, I had a look at 
Wat Nang Setthi วัดนางเศรษฐี (on the premises of Ban Bang Lamung School โรงเรียนบ้านบางละมุง) and across Sukhumvit road Wat Tha Kradan วัดท่ากระดาน and อุทยานพระเจ้าตากสิน (Taksin park with a nice bridge) as well. 

Copyright 2025 ChristianPFC

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are currently unmoderated and open to everyone. I will see how this works out and might switch to moderation. Please sign your comment with a name or identifier.