Sunday, 30 March 2025

Online dating in Myanmar

Online dating in Myanmar
For lack of gay venues, all my activities were by online dating. I found most gay massage places through online dating as well, and the rest through social media.

Popularity of online dating apps
Mandalay distance of 12th profile two samples:
HeeSay 0.6 km, Grindr 1 km, Romeo 165 km, Hornet 350 km.
HeeSay 0.4 km, Grindr 1 km, Romeo 164 km, Hornet 351 km.
Yangon distance of 12th profile :
HeeSay / Blued 0.3 km, Grindr 700 m (last free profile is 3 km away), Gayromeo 3.0 km (but many have not been online for weeks); Hornet 7 km to 240 km (extrapolated from 8th profile 178 km, many profiles on Hornet show no distance), I checked several times, varies with time.

High activity
I would read all messages on gay online dating before going to bed, and the following morning wake up to unread messages from up to 20 profiles. That's more than in Pattaya. Comparable only to India, however in India all old/fat/ugly, whereas here some cute. Another similarity to India is the struggle for face pictures.

Reading these messages, and chatting with those who are online now and getting new messages, would take 30 min to 1 hour. In the course of the day further 30 min to 1 hour of chatting. One day I almost had a third date, but he cancelled.

The struggle for face pictures
Most profiles have no face picture or nonsense pictures or fake pictures. I recognize the fake pictures because I saw them elsewhere, there might be more that I don't recognize. It's so widespread, some state that pictures are theirs, others state that pictures are not theirs (screenshot below top row). Getting a face picture takes most of the work of online dating in Myanmar. And then for 95%, it's not my type.



With pictures that can be viewed only once, I need a code in case I come back to this chat after dozens of other chat. In following, "thank you" is my code "thank you, no, absolutely not"







I don't discuss activities before meeting someone and am quite flexible. My approach is, if I like the face, I can do anything in bed. However the following has different ideas:


Even though they know that due to slow connection, loading pictures can take seconds (per picture!), they have crap in their private pictures:


And a last one, to drive my point in, how tedious and what a waste of time it is for all parties:


Age/weight/height
Ages seemed to be correct, however numbers for weight and height were all over the place. You have to consider that Myanmar is one of the three countries that have not adopted the metrical system (Liberia and the U.S.A. are the other two). But the app would convert into metrical, the problem does not lie in conversion. I met one whose stats were 111 lb 5 feet 4 inch, which converts to 50 kg and 163 cm. But in real he was much slimmer, like 45 kg 163 cm, or 50 kg 170 cm. Many profiles state 122 cm tall, obviously wrong. On street markets you can have your weight measured, from which I assume that most Myanmar don't own a balance and don't know their weight and put whatever comes into their mind in gay online dating.

In summary, in online dating you can't go by profile pictures and not by stats either, it's mostly poking around in the dark and chatting with hundreds of profiles (half message me, half I would message) to find the few cute. I have all the chats (I guess 200), just don't know how to analyze them to draw a conclusion, if there is any regularity to detect.

Rejections in both directions
I have been rejected for various reasons (like being too old or not their preferred race), but this is new:





The above or similar I had before, but this is new:


Missed
Three boys I missed (i.e. we both were ready to meet soon and discussing the details). One slow reply (so I figured I would go to massage instead, and indeed no further message from him), two going offline when I'm getting ready to go out to meet them.

Money requests
Most boys are for free, those who want money usually clearly say so in their profile (“spa boy” or “offer boy” - their English expressions for “money boy”) and have face pictures. However, I have been asked for gifts or money by several in my room during or after our interaction. Depending on situation, I agreed or refused.

Videochat
In some cases where face pictures were not clear, I had videochats just before he or I would set off for a date. We had an internet speed that allowed videochat, however both cases turned out to be too fat for my standards, I had to abort the date. And a money boy missed because no clear face pic and refuses videochat, body pics promising. (Can be for any reason: no light, poor connection, with family or friends.) In Thailand as well, videochat saved me a few disappointments.

Various
Replies “inn” or “hok” in an otherwise English language chat is Burmese for “yes”. For sexual role they use T, B, V. Several encounters told me they haven't met a foreigner before.

Popular boys
The following two are popular, i.e. first step would be to ascertain I'm speaking with the boy in question and not a fake profile.

Khant Ko Ko (a generic name, I don't have any current social media or online dating profiles of him, those I had are all suspended or deleted). For You massage in Yangon shows his picture, but I didn't see him there and didn't ask because I learnt of this only later. I found a look-alike in Orchid Spa.


Kaung Htet Paing https://x.com/Kaunght77 I have his telegram and we exchanged a few messages, but when I asked to meet, no reply. With so many easily available around, I gave up.



Copyright 2025 ChristianPFC except boy pictures

2 comments:

  1. That's why I prefer the outdoors cruising, like the place behind Makkasan station in Bangkok... Did you try that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been in the park behind Makkasan, interesting but nobody for me there. I don't know of any gay venues in Myanmar. For me, online is still the best option to find someone for fun for free.

      Delete

Comments are currently unmoderated and open to everyone. I will see how this works out and might switch to moderation. Please sign your comment with a name or identifier.