Thursday, 12 October 2017

Digital detox

Digital detox

On a normal day in my room in Bangkok, I spend many hours on the computer participating in gay Thailand forums, reading about interesting places in Thailand, chatting with friends. 

When I go on a trip where I stay in a hotel, I cut down my online activities to google maps for navigation and online dating. 

I call this "digital detox".

My readers need not be worried when I don't post in the forums for a week, and then need some days to catch up, or when a comment on my blog is caught in moderation, I will check everything once home. 

Posts on my blog are scheduled, and even the dumbest of my readers must have noticed that

if (day of the month) modulo 3 = 0 then post (at midday Bangkok).

Every now and then a draft of a post slips through and gets published prematurely (because I set the publishing date in the near future, while I'm away), and then taken offline for editing, to be published again some time later.

I sometimes have phantom vibrations on my mobile phone (It is set it to quiet, no ringing, only vibrate only for incoming calls and messages): I imagine a vibration, but then I take my phone out to check, there is nothing.

I don't take calls in the following situations (all have an S): sleep, shower, shit, shave, sex, sauna, sport (swimming, running), massage, cinema (S sound at the beginning), and now that I discovered how to turn my phone to airplane mode without going through the menus (push the on-off-button for three seconds, then choice between "switch off" - "start new" - "airplane mode" will appear), I will use that function more often, e.g. when walking or traveling where I don't want to be disturbed.

My loyal reader vinapu goes even a step further, and does not use a mobile phone when in Thailand. And miraculously, it works! We set a place and time to meet, and both of us are there on time, no calls "half and hour later and 2 km away from the original meeting point". And even his Thai friends manage!

Copyright 2017 ChristianPFC

8 comments:

  1. as we gradually becoming not much more than peripherals to out computers and smartphones such digital detox will become necessity to maintain degree of sanity.

    I confirm your observation, on my last trip I had two timed appointments with bar boys and they both showed in my hotel at appointed time on the dot, amazing Thailand

    ReplyDelete
  2. But Vinapu is known to pay some crazy amounts of money to bar boys. It reached 5000 baht per hour. Compare with what you pay and you may find some explanation. No miracles there. And you verification procedure is such that only Vinapu can post. What kind of motherfucker you are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since your post appears here above obviously you can post as well, no?

      While my fame as big spender is somewhat justified / 28.54% i.e. 4 nights out of 14 paid over the odds / my hourly rate is actually very low - 4000 for 8-10 hours, do the math, 2500 for 2 hrs. was the highest but with WHOM?

      Don't call people motherfucker, particularly if hiding as anonymous, invent some nick like 'Pink Dickhead" or something and only then post

      Delete
    2. If this were my blog, I would censor some of the rude people who have nothing intelligent to say.

      What they write is of no interest to anyone else & does not advance society.

      Delete
    3. I can live with anonymous readers insulting me. Only if they insult my readers, I will delete the comment (happened only once so far).

      "Vinapu is known to pay some crazy amounts of money to bar boys." I fully agree with, even though the math following is wrong.

      Delete
  3. It makes me wonder if Christian had ever rebuffed the sexual advances of "Pink Dickhead".

    ReplyDelete
  4. why are you censoring comments now Christian?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not censoring comments. The spam filter catches most of the spam and some genuine comments, it can take some days until I get around sorting them out. If your comment does not appear instantly, it probably got caught in the spam filter.

      Delete

Comments are currently unmoderated and open to everyone. I will see how this works out and might switch to moderation. Please sign your comment with a name or identifier.