Thursday, 27 January 2022

Changes in Bangkok 2020-2021

Changes in Bangkok 2020-2021

A report about changes in Bangkok that happened during my 20 months absence 1apr2020-10dec2021. Some of them were already in progress when I left Bangkok. It will take me months to get around to see all changes in person. Changes in gay venues will be reported separately.

First impression, after coming from a bustling Phnom Penh, was: where is everyone? It seem half of Bangkok has gone back to their home provinces. Considerably fewer people, cars and mocy than before Covid. There was so little traffic, a dog was lying on Sribampen road (Maderla on the left, Trajai Steakhouse on the right, Malaysia hotel at the end):



I have to say I enjoy the peace and quiet. But it's not sustainable. Many shops closed temporarily or permanently, and those remaining  seem to be doing poor business.

Demolition
Dusit Thani now completely demolished, an empty plot of land before construction starts.



Scala cinema is gone. They hid their crime behind a corrugated iron wall with no gap at the bottom to look in, and too high to look over. But at the gate there was a small gap, enough for me to look in and see the demolition site, but too small to take a picture.

Construction
Entire new shopping centers. When I left there was an empty space temporarily used for parking, now there is The ParQ (North-West corner of Klong Toey intersection). One Bankok construction is progressing. Aerial picture by a friend's drone:



Lumpini Park on the left, Rama IV road at the bottom. The triangular structure on the right will become Thailand's tallest building at 430 meters. https://onebangkok.com/en/News/get_content_news/1425 The entire complex will have 278 elevators and escalators. https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/pr/2096531/one-bangkok-thailands-largest-fully-integrated-district

New Queen Sirikit Center structure complete. 

The Quarter (hotel in Soi Than Tawan off Surawong) now operating. Another entrance is in Silom Soi 6.



Kronos office building in North Sathorn Road. I was walking elsewhere and spotted that conical brown roof with green copper pinnacle that I haven't seen before.



AUA Language Center Ratchadamri new building with ornamental brick. Siamscape Shopping Center ornamental brick as well. A welcome addition. Ornamental brick was sorely missing in Bangkok's architecture.

New Parks
Benjakitti Park extended to area that used to be Tobacco Monopoly of Thailand. Aerial view (from West to East) of Benjakitti Park and new Queen Sirikit Center:



Chong Nonsi Park (directly West of BTS Chong Nonsi) open. Aerial view (BTS on the right side cut off).



Chao Phraya Sky Park. A bridge over Chao Phraya was built near Memorial Bridge, but then the project was abandoned and in 2020 converted to a public park.

Chulalongkorn Centennial Park completed.

Phatumwananurak Park in Pratunam has been completed in 2018 but never been opened to public. https://landprocessdesign.wixsite.com/landprocess/pathumwananurak-parkx

Former Hippodrome in Pitsanulok Road demolished and currently construction site for Rama 9 Memorial Park.

Public transport
There are new bus stops with written display of lines that stop there and electrical display of waiting time for bus (destination switch between English and Thai). The bus stops have free WiFi and USB charging. The wall with plants next to old bus stops were removed.





BTS and MRT extensions. New red line to Taling Chan and Rangsit. Sukumvit Line extended North to Khukhot and East to Kheha (Samut Prakarn, open since 2019 but I haven't made it there yet).

Trains still depart from Hua Lampong. But Bang Sue central station is now in operation and will soon take over. A look along platform while waiting for red line train:



Fewer taxis. In front of Malaysia or Ibis hotel I would have to wait for minutes to get a taxi.

Rotary Parking Carousel ? at Wat Hua Lampong and elsewhere.

Restaurants
Moonhouse, which had the Tom Kha Gai I liked most https://christianpfc.blogspot.com/2014/03/words-of-praise-tom-kha-gai-at-moon.html, is permanently gone. But this loss is partially replaced by delicious Khao Soi ข้าวซอย at KAOSOI TOOK TOOK Kor ข้าวซอยถูกทุกข้อ in Suan Phlu. Update: Zest (Sribampen corner to Yen Agat) has Tom Kha Gai as delicious as Moonhouse.

Many restaurants with reduced menus (both food and drink) and they don't have everything in stock. In some cases, half the menu is crossed out as not available, in other cases after placing my order staff comes back from kitchen and tells me the item is not available.



Occupancy in mid-class restaurants 10-20%. Often I'm the only customer, but food delivery some activity with restaurants setting up tabled for delivery drivers to wait for the order, and outside apartment buildings drop-off tables.

Various changes
In 2020, the highest number of 7-Eleven I came across was in the 15,000. Now I spotted some in the 17,000. But some branches closed temporarily (view blocked with paper all over the window from inside, but outside still signs), and some closed permanently (windows clear and everything inside removed). Now there are small 7-Eleven automats in various locations.



Southern Bus Station and MBK about 20% of shops gone and a lot of empty space for rent. Customer numbers down.

My favorite cat in Sathorn (often on a table at an unnamed restaurant in Soi Sribampen) has died.

In my room, water, fridge, aircon all fine after 20 months of absence. Some dust, spiders and spider poo. I caught about 30 spiders and re-settled them in the hallway. What did they eat all the time? Clothes and papers bleached from sun. Of course I know better than leaving stuff by the window, but I didn't expect to be away for 20 months.

Copyright 2022 ChristianPFC

5 comments:

  1. I can recommend Quarter Silom hotel you mentioned. Both red SRT lines are fast and have good view from the tracks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why your gay activity reports are so many months behind nowadays?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got into a delay last year and haven't caught up yet.

      Delete
  4. Hello, thanks for the very interesting update. Have you write the post on "Changes in gay venues" yet? I could not find it. Thanks in advance.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are currently unmoderated and open to everyone. I will see how this works out and might switch to moderation. Please sign your comment with a name or identifier.