Saturday, 23 April 2022

A tree fell down in Cambodia

A tree fell down in Cambodia
One of my areas of interest is trees growing over buildings, and halfway between Phnom Penh and Kampot, there was a tree growing inside a Khmer ruin that I was going to visit.

Following pictures from:
វត្តប្រាសាទ​ (វត្តតានី)​ Wat Prasat (Wat Tani)
http://sroulnas168.blogspot.com/2017/05/wat-prasat-wat-tani.html





More pictures at: https://web.facebook.com/491290554574899/posts/1224584694578811/?_rdc=1&_rdr

That tree has been there for decades. However, when I went on 4dec2021, I found it gone and my Khmer friend translated what locals told him: the tree fell down in a storm 10 days ago, and toppled part of the ruin as well. My worst timing ever.





The title of this post is inspired by a German saying: "Das interessiert mich so sehr, wie wenn in China ein Sack Reis (oder: in Brasilien ein Sack Kaffee) umkippt." (My translation: It bothers me as much as a sack of rice falling down in China (or: a sack of coffee falling down in Brazil). Seems to be a German saying, equivalents in English here: https://www.reddit.com/r/polandball/comments/1r50pe/in_china_a_sack_of_rice_fell_over/
How would you say in English or you mother tongue?


Update 21jan2024. In Koh Ker there is a similar situation, Prasat Bak has a tree growing over a fragment of wall that is dangerously leaning, seen in pictures as recent as 3 years ago, but when I went today it has all fallen down.

Copyright 2022 ChristianPFC

3 comments:

  1. Shouldn't it be ...wenn im China...?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It should be "in China", I corrected my typo.

      Delete
  2. The temple complex in South Pattaya has a VERY small plant growing off the roof of a small building, visible after going through the gate on the Boyztown Side. If they neglect this for a few more decades, maybe it might resemble something from Angkor Wat.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are currently unmoderated and open to everyone. I will see how this works out and might switch to moderation. Please sign your comment with a name or identifier.