Monday, 24 September 2018

Art Deco market buildings in SEAsia

Art Deco market buildings in South-East Asia

Art Deco is one of my favorite architectural styles, and South-East Asia has several beautiful Art Deco market buildings. Here a collection of places I have been or know from reading, alphabetic by city name.


Central Market Battambang (Cambodia)


Central Market Hpa-An (Myanmar)
I don't know if this market has a name. I came across it while walking through town.




Central Market Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)
I was unaware of the market when I was in Kuala Lumpur in 2011. Later I saw a picture in a travel magazine, and thought: "I bet my left testicle that this building was not built in 1888, but rather some time between 1920 and 1960." And indeed, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_Market,_Kuala_Lumpur says: It was founded in 1888 and originally used as a wet market,[1] while the current Art Deco style building was completed in 1937.

https://areyouhaere.files.wordpress.com/2018/01/dsc07812-e1516534301642.jpg

Central Market Phnom Penh (Cambodia)
The Central Market in Phnom Penh was the reason for my first visit to Cambodia, with Siem Reap and Angkor Wat a side trip.




https://cambodiatourism.co/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/centralmarket1.jpg

Bến Thành Market Saigon (Vietnam) 




Scott Market = Bogyoke Market Yangon (Myanmar)



Addendum

National Stadium Bangkok (Thailand)
Not a market hall, but beautiful Art Deco. 


http://www.diamondcityhotel.com/images/nearbyhightlight/National%20Stadium%20Bangkok.jpg 

Bang Pu Recreation Center Samut Prakan (Thailand)
I have been in 2017.


Centennial Hall Breslau/Wrocław (Poland)
Not in South-East Asia, and not a market, but as it fits in here architecturally and one of my readers is from  Breslau (German name) / Wrocław (Polish name), so let me add this place as well.


https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centennial_Hall 

Various cinemas all over South-East Asia
Most cinemas in South-East Asia are in Art Deco style.  
The Southeast Asia Movie Theater Project
http://seatheater.blogspot.com/
tries to cover all stand-alone cinemas in South-East Asia, 
and I have some articles about cinemas in Thailand https://christianpfc.blogspot.com/search/label/cinema.

Copyright 2018 ChristianPFC except pictures with links

1 comment:

  1. We can only wish to all that market buildings that they follow Breslau / Wroclaw lead and land on UNESCO's World Heritage list

    ReplyDelete

Comments are currently unmoderated and open to everyone. I will see how this works out and might switch to moderation. Please sign your comment with a name or identifier.