Friday, 20 December 2019

Changing cityscape of Bangkok (1) General venues

Changing Cityscape of Bangkok (1) General venues

The cityscape of Bangkok in the 2010's changes as quickly as that of Berlin in 1944. Demolition and construction everywhere. I guess in Bangkok alone there is more construction than in entire Germany.

Dusit Thani being demolished is a crime against humanity. At time of posting still standing:



Update: when passing on Tue17dec2019 the iconic golden spire just gone (was still there a few days before).

Police General Hospital was demolished in spring 2019 and the area is now used for parking:


Budget Hilton in Soi Sribampen gone,  that area is now becoming a forest.
https://christianpfc.blogspot.com/2016/09/budget-hilton-sri-bam-pen-is-no-more.html

Even someone living here most of the time cannot follow all developments. I was wondering why one event that used to be held in QSNCC Queen Sirikit National Convention Centre is now in Bitec Bangna, and another in IMPACT, until I passed QSNCC and found it being demolished. Aerial picture from a friend's drone:


Australian embassy in South Sathorn road (pic 20nov2017 from Somerset Suan Phlu) now gone.


Suan Lum Night Bazar was closed in 2010 and Lumpini Boxing Stadium demolished around 2016 (I have pictures), and that area is now a giant construction site for Bangkok One.

(insert picture of empty plot of land before construction started when I find it)

Bhirasri Institute of Modern Art has been closed as long as I can remember (2009), and now (Nov2019) something is going on (corrugated iron wall to road - now you can't see what's going on, before you could the building from the road - , and when the gate was open I could see vegetation was cleared inside).
https://www.daxward.com/The-abandoned-art-gallery/

Horse racing stadium on Pitsanulok road demolished.

The three headed elephant statue at City Pillar Shrine has been gone since 2017. 

To end on a positive note, extensions and new lines of BTS and MRT make some areas easily accessible (but during construction create traffic jams). 

Copyright ChristianPFC 2019

3 comments:

  1. and who would think that at time of construction Dusit Thani was tallest building in whole Thailand

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have to live here all the time and travel daily to find out what has changed, I did not know about QSCC even though I read Thai news daily.
    But the common Thai buildings are only made to last 20 yrs or so. Nothing is for eternity, except in carmad Deutschland. On the other hand it can indeed take many years for old buildings to simply stand empty and overgrown before something happens.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder how much longer Sathorn Unique beside Saphan Taksin BTS will be standing empty shell and what eventually will come out of it

    ReplyDelete

Comments are currently unmoderated and open to everyone. I will see how this works out and might switch to moderation. Please sign your comment with a name or identifier.