Hotel Horrors
Sometimes I stay in hotels where I wonder if the person who designed the room has been living in tents or caves and never been in a house.
Some issues that I elaborate on in this post where side notes here:
No furniture
Taipei 8nov2019. No chair, table or wardrobe! I had to put all my stuff on the floor.
No doors on wardrobe
Sakaew 8jan2020. One step up from above. There is a wardrobe and storage room, but they have no doors. When I have guests, I like to put my dirty laundry and all my stuff in wardrobe and close the door so it's out of sight. Can't do this here.
Small sink
Sakaew The same hotel has another issue: small sink.
Bum gun on left side of toilet
And another issue of the hotel in Sakaew: the bum gun is on the left side of the toilet, making it awkward to use for a right-handed person.
But the location is good and overall value for money is good, so I stayed there several times when I had business in Sakaew.
Low sink
Kanchanaburi 26jan2020. I measured it, the rim is 65 cm from floor.
Low doorhandle
Danang Vietnam 2mar2020. Left side of picture wall to ceiling, right side lower part of door with folder for A4 for size comparison.
Shower head blocked by limescale
Singhburi 29jun2017. Only the two black holes are open, all other partially or completely blocked. I opened all of them with a toothpick. I had hotels with blocked bum-gun as well.
Location of power plugs
Kanchanaburi (Thong Pha Phum) 24jan2020. The power plug is higher on the wall than cable of my USB charger is long. I couldn't put my phone on the floor for charging, I had to put it on the hat stand. Best would be a power plug next to bed so I can lie in bed and use my phone while it is charging.
But it could be worse! I had power plugs where the contacts were loose. I put my charger in, took my hand off, and the charger fell out of the power plug!
Addendum 15aug2020:
Small double bed. Summer 2019 with my parents in London, triple bed room with my parents' double bed small, synchronized sleeping (picture).
On the other hand a double bed in Bueng Gan huge. Two people can sleep independently.
Addendum 29aug2020:
With central water heating and single lever mixer tap, despite red (warm) and blue (cold) marks on lever, you never know where cold and where hot water is. I found a simple trick: hot water usually has slightly lower water pressure. So I put the lever in the position with lower water pressure and wait for hot water to come, then adjust to my preferred temperature.
Addendum 29jan2021: Phnom Penh Nawin Guesthouse 4th floor low water pressure. I had this problem elsewhere, water pressure was not enough to (fill water reservoir to flush toilet) and shower at the same time. So I would take a poo, leave it in the toilet bowl, take a shower, and flush after shower.
Addendum 5aug2023: labyrinthine hallways in Ambiance Hotel Pattaya reported here https://www.gayguides.com/forums/topic/39550-best-gogo-bar/?do=findComment&comment=360511
Even worse cases of mis-engineering are reported here:
Copyright 2020 ChristianPFC

I'd not call all above horrors, rather inconveniences.
ReplyDeleteWell known and used BKK hotels Nantra Silom and Red Planet don't have wardrobes either. I agree that it's handy to have one but hardly a problem when travelling.
Lack of chair or table is more troubling as far as I'm concerned.
Still I think Thai hotels are great value for money, too bad that at the moment we can't use them