ChristianPFC spends a lot of time in hotels and has written about the good and the bad before:
https://christianpfc.blogspot.com/2019/11/bathroom-sinks-from-hell.html
https://christianpfc.blogspot.com/2018/03/my-favorite-hotels-in-thailand.html
https://christianpfc.blogspot.com/2016/09/wtf-key-deposit-in-hotel.html
https://christianpfc.blogspot.com/2015/05/hotels-in-khon-kaen-chaiyaphum-nakon.html
But now we enter a new dimension: Deadly Hotels (or at least damaging to your health).
In a hotel in E-Tong / Pilok (Kanchanaburi province, deep in the mountains on the border to Myanmar, however no official border crossing). This water heater is gas powered (12 kW; most electrical water heaters have 3 or 4 kW which is just sufficient in winter in Bangkok, but would be insufficient in the mountains). It is not connected to a chimney, the exhaust goes into the bathroom. In the picture you can see the blue flame and the red LED for water temperature. When I sent this picture to my father, he called it a gas chamber, hence the title.
This bathroom has no extract fan at all. There are two good reasons for extract fans in bathrooms: remove smell from toilet and remove water vapor from showering. But these are just inconveniences, whereas if there is anything wrong with the gas, you can die of carbon monoxide poisoning. Actually right after turning it on, I could smell the gas (the gas itself has no or weak smell, what I smelled were the additives to detect leaks by smell).
The same hotel has a low lintel, I hit my head mildly several times.
I have an amazing brain, and even hitting my head lightly on the lintel can do damage.
Hotel in Yangon. Not visible in this picture, but the bathroom floor in front of the sink has a depression. When I took a shower in the evening, there would still be a puddle of water that has not evaporated in the morning. Easy to slip and hit your head.
Update 31jan2021 Phnom Penh
Most hotels I stay
in don't have a shower curtain or wall, the entire bathroom floor gets wet
when you shower. I almost slipped several times, and a friend slipped
and hurt his knee and now needs to take some days rest to recover.
Hotel in Yangon. The key tag has sharp edges. Be careful not to cut your skin when taking it out of your pocket. When I sent this picture to a friend, he replied: Todesfalle Hotel. Teil 141, scharfkantige Schlüssenanhänger. My translation: Death trap hotel. Episode 141, sharp/spiky key tags.
Sharp corners does not only apply to key tags. I once had Sticky Rice with Mango from a market which usually comes with a single-use plastic spoon. After eating, I had some unwell feeling on my lips and found that I had minor cuts in my lips from the spoon. Now I'm careful eating with these spoons.
I once spent time in a short-time hotel in Pattaya and when I touched the illuminated entrance sign to the hotel, I could feel an electrical current going through my body. There was an insulation problem with the electrical installation. In all my years, that was the only occasion that you can call a chance for an electrocution.


as long as you don't have anything bad to say about Bangkok hotels we are OK.
ReplyDelete