Saturday, 5 March 2022

Cycling near Kanchanaburi

Cycling near Kanchanaburi

I have been to Kanchanaburi many times and still many places I haven’t seen. Problem is accessibility by public transport (see previous post). One place I want to go to is 10 km out of town, and two more along the way. Too far to walk, and if renting a car or mocy with driver, I would mostly pay him for waiting for me.

Then I haven an epiphany: rent a bicyle! I don’t know why I didn’t get that idea earlier, but probably because I have two friend who get around Bangkok and Phnom Penh by bicycle, which I consider too dangerous and there are better alternatives. But Kanchanaburi, with tree lined local roads with wide side strips is perfect for cycling.

Bicycle rental in Mae Nam road / Khwae River Road (main tourist road) for 50 THB per day (i.e. 24 h, I took the bicycle over night), 300 deposit and picture of my passport and my hotel details. The first time since 2010 that I actively take part in road traffic in Thailand. In 2010, I rode a bicycle on Phra Phradaeng (peninsula, mostly forest, no through traffic). No gears, but roads mostly flat and the one hill I got off and pushed. Basket in front useful to put my stuff in. I don’t have a license to drive a motorbike and prefer bicycle anyway.


In Kwaen Rock at Wat Khao Chong Sadet อินแขวน วัดเขาช่องเสด็จ
The road to the temple leads past fields with onions and spring onions, I can smell them when driving past. Park bicycle at Wat Khao Chong Sadet. Some people there speak English and offer me cold drinking water and show me the way (past the temple, over the field, into the forest).


View of rock (zoom) from the field behind the temple. Elevation about 100 m from temple and field.


A recent fire has cleared all vegetation. Yellow flags or arrows visible to mark the way, but now I can go any way.



Note the pre-historic palm trees (above picture) and moss.


Last part some serious climbing (but no equipment other than closed shoes and gloves needed).


And here is the rock standing on small base:
 



View from higher up:


View of Kanchanaburi town:
 

Wat Phothisat Banpotnimit วัดโพธิสัตว์บรรพตนิมิต
 

The interesting part of the temple is a giant statue of many-handed Guan Yin.



Several areas with unfinished construction.


Wat Tham Khao Pun วัดถ้ำเขาปูน
A golden chedi on top of the mountain. Reached by red painted steel stairway.




Views over Khwae Noi river, railway line, Kanchanaburi town from chedi and nearby cafes and restaurants.


A cave (entry 20 THB) with several rooms and various sculptures, the reclining Buddha the most important. Some narrow passages between rooms.


A museum witch pictures from construction of the Thailand-Burma railway line. Here the bombed, and in repaired state still in use, steel bridge and the long gone wooden bridge (that was built before the steel bridge) over the river Kwai.


Chong Kai Allied War Cemetery สุสานทหารสัมพันธมิตรช่องไก่
Drive past, but not my main area of interest.

Copyright 2022 ChristianPFC

3 comments:

  1. you have real knack for finding interesting places

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Thai word for bicycle is so funny: sounds like yakkayaan. Have you ever discovered where that comes from?
    And certainly these places are not in the common guidebooks-but some looks also just being made a year or 2 ago!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are currently unmoderated and open to everyone. I will see how this works out and might switch to moderation. Please sign your comment with a name or identifier.