Saturday, 6 July 2024

Gay activities Apr2024 China

Gay activities Apr2024 China
First trip to China Dec2023 failed boy-wise, details at end of general report: https://christianpfc.blogspot.com/2024/01/china-impressions-dec2023.html
But on gay forums I got advice: https://sawatdeenetwork.com/v4/showthread.php?23162-Chengdu-and-Chongqing
https://www.gayguides.com/forums/topic/40403-chengdu-and-chongqing/
and tried Tantan 探探 and Momo 陌陌 apps this trip. There is a Chinese version of Blued as well, whereas the international Blued has only few profiles in China.

Download Tantan on Google Play (TanTan - Asian Dating App, Tantan Hong Kong Limited, 3.6 stars in 1M reviews, 50M+ Downloads) and Momo. Subscribe to Tantan VIP for 9.49 EUR for one month.

Tue26mar2024 Bangkok to Chongqing
Tantan is a general dating app, specify man looking for man. I get many profiles in Chongqing.

General notes on Tantan. Tantan is based on swiping, i.e. you see one profile and swipe right to show your interest in that profile or left to dismiss this profile (or tap heart or cross to the same effect). Just like Tinder (which I only know from other's descriptions). The first time I use swiping, unusual after only using grid-based dating apps so far. VIP allows me to go back to the last profile; without VIP, swipe wrong and the profile is lost forever. Every profile is shown only once.

You could argue about the benefits of sorting profiles into interested – not interested, and never seeing not interested again. Only when both profiles swiped “interested”, you can chat with each other (whoever swipes “interested” second, gets a message that you match). A striking difference to grid-based dating apps is the quality of profiles, most people on Tantan have a clear face picture of themselves.

I have only the first level of paid subscription. I get notifications of others who like my profile, but can't see their profile unless I get the second level of subscription. Tedious!

 
Wed27mar2024 Chongqing
On Tantan I reach end of 50 km radius, swiped everyone left of right. Just when I wanted to quantify (how many profiles in what time, and how many left or right; to compare with other apps). Following days about 10 new profiles per day are shown.

No clear hits (i.e. I like SEAsian guys better than Chinese), and not much response either. Chatted a bit with two, but we didn't get any further.

Thu28mar2024 Chongqing
Try Momo out, register with WeChat, then phone number to get verification code. Same swiping system as Tantan, but else very different: all in Chinese (Tantan has some English), many profiles not their picture, too much visual distraction. An assault on the senses. Abandon Momo. Screenshot months later, plenty of notifications and messages.


Fri29mar2024 Chongqing
Today spotted some people in shorts and/or short sleeves, but most long/long and all closed shoes.

Tue2apr2024 Chongqing to Hong Kong
On my last trip to Hong Kong 2019, I met a mainland Chinese via Hornet and we stayed in contact until 2021. Now I message him on Line, not read.

In 2019 I went to some gay saunas in Hong Kong https://christianpfc.blogspot.com/2020/01/gay-activities-hong-kong-nov-2019.html but neither online dating nor gay saunas were good, this trip I didn't spend any time with gay dating or saunas.

Furthermore, hotel rooms are small and expensive, e.g. I paid about 30 EUR / night for a room of 6 sqm with a bathroom of 1.5 sqm. Even though locals know these living conditions in Hong Kong, I would feel uncomfortable to bring someone back into such a room.

The closest I got to having sex was being in an elevator that is certified for 7 passengers with 8 others.

Sat6apr2024 Hong Kong to Shaoguan to Danxia
Sightseeing, details separately in upcoming post.

Wed10apr2024 Danxia to Shenzhen
In Hong Kong and Shenzhen, I notice more cute boys than before in Sichuan. Are there more cute boys in the south (Hong Kong, Shenzhen) than in Sichuan (Chengdu, Chongqing)?

Spend estimated 30 minutes on Tantan, reject 170 profiles and accept 60 profiles, of which one match. Those accepted not as attractive as in Cambodia, Thailand or Myanmar, but I have to start somewhere. Not a single clear hit.

Find someone on hornet, we meet at metro station and he comes to my room. No problem to get past reception. We have a good time, I will meet him again next time I'm in Shenzhen. (Update: has been offline on hornet for weeks, I should have asked for other means of communication!)

The facts that he lives in Shenzhen, uses Hornet and speaks English shows that he has an interest in Foreigners. I have yet to meet someone in the provinces, on Tantan, in Chinese.

I don't recall any money boys or massage offerings. Comments on Chinese money boys see here:
https://sawatdeenetwork.com/v4/showthread.php?23227-Proper-Etiquette-with-a-Moneyboy&p=296738&viewfull=1#post296738

Sat13apr2024 Shenzhen to Phnom Penh
Last time in Cambodia, I met such a nice boy that I promised him to see him again as soon as possible, so I arranged this trip to get a direct flight from China to Cambodia.

Back in Thailand, I find there is a substantial number of Thais on Tantan, I will keep using it in Thailand (free version is fine for me).

Copyright 2024 ChristianPFC

1 comment:

  1. I just don't get the idea of a dating app that's difficult to use AND they then try to charge hefty subscription fees.
    Subscription fees that are equivalent to over 80% of my monthly phone bill.
    An optimum solution would have:
    (i) A grid of large pictures like Grindr (not small pictures)
    (ii) Unlimited blocks like Grindr
    (iii) A private ranking system, so you can score boys & sort them
    (iv) Profile IDs like Hornet
    (v) Minimal ads and a fair ad free subscription offer. The Hornet special offer at 400 baht per year is reasonable. The Grindr subscription fee is unreasonable, considering the users create the content for Grindr.

    Fortunately, there's plenty of competition. In Europe and Thailand, the increase in adverts on Hornet & Grindr has just resulted in Jack'D gaining a few users.

    The Chinese HeeSay app is simply unbearable, with all the adverts & pop ups.
    Thank you for the insight into all their other offerings. I'm in no hurry to visit China.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are currently unmoderated and open to everyone. I will see how this works out and might switch to moderation. Please sign your comment with a name or identifier.